Lessons

What was the word again? 'Hari, what's the word for this again?' He held up a colored pencil.

'Oh, that's a colored pencil. Why?'

'Well... My father is British, so English is his first language. My first words were in Japanese because that's my native language but the first language I learned was English. I forgot a lot of my Japanese so Poltergeist is reteaching me.' He explained. 'I'm sorry, I don't mean to inconvenience you.'

Hari laughed, 'Inconvenient? You're not inconvenient! I like you, you're nice to me. A lot nicer than Mom.' He smiled. 'Hey, I can teach you Japanese!'

'You can?'

'Yeah, it's my first language, obviously, so if you want me to teach you I can!'

Kai hesitated. 'W-Would you?'

'Of course!'

Kai's eyes lit up. 'Really?'

'Yes of course! I can teach you anything you need to know.'

Kai nodded, 'Well there are still a lot of words I don't know, are you sure you want to waste-'

'Yes.' Hari said. 'Look it's not a waste of time for me just let me help you!'

'O-Okay...' Kai seemed a little red. 'But Hari?'

'What's up?' He lowered his hands from Kai's arms.

'It's just... You're a little close.'

Hari's eyes widened, 'Ah! I'm so sorry!' He backed away.

Poltergeist chuckled. 'Lucky for you I know the ones you don't know. Let's start with objects I'll go get some things for you to name.'

Kai nodded as Hari took the last sip of his tea. Kai had finished his tea while it was still hot. 'I still don't understand how you can drink tea while it's still that hot.'

Poltergeist left the room to go get things Kai couldn't name in Japanese, so there was an awkward silence between the two. Kai thanked Hari again. Only once in his life has someone other than Poltergeist offered to teach him anything.

'But Senpai only does it because he has to. It's his job... He probably hates me. Hari too, he's only here because he feels bad for me...'

'Ah! Kai why are you crying?!'

'I'm fi-fine. It's okay.' Kai mumbled.

'Hey, I'm back- Woah what happened to him?'

'I dunno.' Hari said, hugging Kai, trying to comfort him. If he was going to be in Kai's future, he wanted to be a good part of it.

Poltergeist sighed and wiped his tears. 'C'mon, don't you wanna learn some new words from Hari?'

Kai finished wiping his tears. 'Yeah...'

Hari smiled and looked at the things Poltergeist laid out. A knife, a glass, a bottle of wine, and a sign. Random stuff, but simple words. Easy for Kai to learn.

'Okay let's get started!'

~ A few minutes later

'Uh... Nai- Naifu?' (Knife)

'Correct!'

'Garasu.' (Glass)

'Good job.'

'Wain no botoru.' (Bottle of wine)

'Mhm!'

'And Sain?'

'Good job!' Hari praised.

'He's right you did wonderfully. Excellent work Kai.' Poltergeist smiled.

'Hey Poltergeist, I know everyone else's - at least that I've met - But I don't know yours. So what's your real name?'