PART 42

Meenakashi's POV

I felt very relaxed being away from my in-laws. I loved spending time with my kids and husband without any stress. But on Thursday morning, my husband's friend from our village called my husband and informed him that his grandmother fell down and was on bedrest.

My husband called my father in-law and he confirmed the news. We immediately left for home. I felt very disturbed thinking about her. I didn't want her to get hurt. When I was a kid, she always stopped my mother in-law from hitting me whenever she could. Even though, she was very rude at times, she cared for me in her own way.

As soon as we went home, we were greeted with the sight of my mother in-law sweeping the floor. I could see that she was too tired to work and I immediately took the broom stick from her hand and started sweeping.

She was surprised seeing all of us as we came home uninformed. She informed us that my father in-law went to the farm and my grandmother in-law in her room sleeping.

I didn't understand where Sudha went as I didn't see her from the moment I came home. My husband who stopped talking to his mother started talking to her again and asked about his grandmother's health.

She also informed us that Sudha and Surya were not home and went to attend the wedding of Sudha's friend.
By the time my father in-law came home, my grandmother in-law woke up and narrated us how she fell down.

My father in-law came back from the farm tired and seeing my husband he said, "Why did you come home? I already said that she is fine and don't take so many leaves." Seeing their grandfather my children excitedly greeted him.

As they were talking, I went to see if they was any work in the kitchen. But I didn't expect my mother in-law to follow me to the kitchen. I felt very anxious in her presence but soon she started talking in a friendly manner which made me feel comfortable. I was very happy and just wanted her to always behave in the same way.

My children excitedly showed my in-laws everything that we bought. They narrated how we spent our time there. Listening to their talks my father in-law acted annoyed and said, "You were crying like babies here and happily enjoyed there. I'm not talking to you people at all. Even when I asked you to stop crying.you didn't stop crying." Later my children followed their grandfather and clung to him and informed me that they would sleep with their grandfather.

In the night, my husband was busy with his mobile and when he saw me, he showed me the pictures of Sudha and Surya in a resort and said, "These two lied about friend's wedding and went to a resort. As if that's not enough, these fools posted it on Instagram. I don't know what dad would do if he gets to know about this."

I was shocked as I didn't expect them to lie and said, "Then don't let him know. He doesn't have a smartphone to know about all these." and placed the water on the bedside table and left the room. Seeing me leave, my husband said, "Where are you going?" To which I said, "To grandmother in-law's room." He suddenly stood up and said, "Tell the kids to sleep in her room." To which I said, "Kids are sleeping in your parent's room today."

I went to our grandmother in-law's room to sleep. We both talked for a while and then slept. But in the middle of the night, I felt my someone's presence beside which scared me and soon the person closed my mouth with his hand and said, "Don't shout. It's me." I was relieved listening to my husband's voice. He removed his hand from my mouth and hugged me and I said, "What are you doing here?" To which he said, "I was not able to sleep."

I was scared as I didn't want my grandmother in-law to wake up and see us in such inappropriate situation.  I pushed him aside and went to other side of the bed and asked him to go but he didn't and started coming near me. When I was trying to escape him, I heard my grandmother in-law shouting, "Thief". She caught hold of the walking stick which was beside the bed and started hitting my husband and asked me to turn on the lights.

I stood there like a statue but scared of my grandmother in-law's anger, I went to turn on the lights. But after, the lights were turned on, my husband was nowhere present in the room.

Listening to my grandmother in-laws shouting, my in-laws along with the children and few neighbours came to the room and then my grandmother in-law narrated how she hit the thief.

After a while, my husband too came to the room and acted like he was oblivious to what happened. Few young men decided to search for the thief and even my husband acted like he would search for the thief. But, after no thief was found, everyone were scared as thieves were not common in our village and one of our neighbours suggested my father in-law that we should take the help of police.

My husband looked nervous about the police involvement and after the neighbours went to their own houses, my father in-law sat down on a chair looking scared but my husband said, "Don't worry dad. I'll take care of this. It's not a big deal."

My grandmother in-law looked very offended with my husband's statement and said, "Not a big deal! That pervert thief was after your wife and if I didn't wake up, I didn't know what would have happened. Till tomorrow morning, I want that thief infront of me or else, I will go to the police station on my own." My in-laws looked shocked and asked me if I was fine but I didn't know what to say and looked at my husband for help.

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow.