PART 46

Meenakshi's POV

After mentioning about my father's death, I stayed silent as I knew that I would cry if I say anything more. Seeing my silence, my husband hugged me tightly and kissed me on my head continuously.

Wanting to change my mood, he started tickling me and seeing me laugh, he said, "You look beautiful when you laugh." I felt shy with the sudden complement and tried to move out of his hold. Seeing my failed attempts to move out of his hold, he laughed out loud and left me.

I didn't know from where I got the guts but I said, "Even you look very good when you laugh." He looked amused and stared at me as if asking me to continue and I continued, "But you always act like it's a sin to laugh or even smile. You are always very serious as if you are in some kind of war."

I thought he would get offended by what I said but he smiled at me and said, "I would have laughed more often if I knew that my wife likes me laughing." I blushed at his comment and tried to hide my face from him.

I thought he would continue teasing me but he suddenly said, "I have something for you." I didn't expect him to talk about giving me something but I was excited  as I thought he would give me something romantic as he was talking to me in a romantic way.

After a few minutes, he came back and gave me a few books which looked like children's story books and said, "I bought these for our children. But now you should read these books. The language is not very complicated as these books are for children."

I looked awkwardly at the books and he continued, "See I understand that you can read but you made a lot of mistakes while reading few sentences. You should first start a habit of reading."

I was irritated with him but didn't know what to say as I didn't know why he was suddenly interested in me reading these books.

I thought the night would end in a good note but he annoyed me by giving me books. Who wants to read such books at this age? I would not even touch those books. But he said, "Are you listening? I want you to read and narrate the stories to me." Listening to his strict tone, I felt scared and said, "But why should I read books? You can read them yourself if you are interested in these stories." To which he gave me a serious look and said, "I want you to continue your education and for that you should first build the habit of reading."

I hated how he suddenly was interested in my studies. Few hours back he didn't even have any idea about my life before our marriage and now after learning a few things about me, he suddenly wants to turn my world upside down.

I felt like crying and banged the books loudly on his study table and went to my side of the bed. I hated how he always orders me. I hated how I have no other choice but to listen to everything he says.

He tried to talk to me but I covered myself with the blanket completely but snatched he blanket away from me and said, "Don't throw tantrums like a child. You read and narrate the stories. You have time till the next Saturday and if you don't read you will see the worst side of mine."

I was angry with his warning and wanted to show him that I was angry on him. But I didn't know how to show my anger and after thinking a lot I slept on a mat on the floor.

He looked angry seeing me sleep on the floor and said, "Come to the bed now or else I'll not hesitate to break all your bones." Listening to him, I went near him and said, "Come! Break my bones now."

Not expecting me to react in this way, he nervously smiled and said, "Come! Let's sleep." But I moved away from him and slept on the floor.

He called me to come to the bed and after not getting any response, he slept beside me on the mat and said, "Why are you behaving like this? I thought you would be happy to study."

I hated how he was not understanding me and said, "Why do you and your family always think that I should do whatever you and your family want? First when I begged your father to let me study, he strictly warned me to never think about studies and now after all these years when I'm fine without any education, you suddenly want me to study."

To which he said, "It's all for your own good." I laughed at this and said, "Even your father said the same when he wanted me to stop my studies."

To which he said, "I know this is not fair for you. I know that it's all new and sudden to you but trust me you will be fine."

I hated how casual he was being about this. He doesn't even seem to understand my situation.

But I knew that I can't study at this age and said, "Do you think it's easy to study at this age? Everyone will laugh at me and not only me, they will laugh at our kids, you and our entire family. Do you think your father will let me study if he gets to know about this?"

To which he said, "Don't overreact. How would anyone even know. Next year you and our kids would stay with me in Hyderabad and there you could happily study." To which I said, "But who goes to school at this age even if it's Hyderabad?"

To which he said, "There is something called as distance education where you don't have to go to school and directly write exams."

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow.