PART 57

Meenakshi's POV

I was scared when he saw the pills. I knew that he would hate me after knowing that I betrayed him and I knew that I deserved it.

As soon as he looked at the pills he threw them angrily on the bed and said, "You know!. From the moment you came into my life everything changed and I hated you for it. But deep down I knew that it's not your fault. You were also a kid and just a victim like me. I always felt guilty for hating you. But today without any guilt I absolutely hate you from the bottom of my heart."

I cried listening to him and he continued, "Tell me! Why you did this? Atleast give me a reason! Why are you so desperate for a child when I explained you clearly about my situation? Didn't I tell you to wait for another two years? Don't you care about my career? Don't you know how important education is for me?" Seeing me silent he humourlessly laughed and said, "How would you know? Did you even see a school in your life? Do you alteast know to write your own name?"

I was hurt with what he said and was not even able to open my mouth out of fear. After he left, I sat on the bed and cried and my grandmother in-law came to our room and seeing me cry she panicked and said, "Is it hurting somewhere? Shall we go to hospital now?" To which I cried harder and even my mother in-law panicked and said, "Did my son do something?" But I didn't say anything and she continued, "Did you remember your parents?" To which I nodded my head.

They both consoled me and said, "Don't worry. We are here to take care of you. If you want something, just say you will get it and don't cry. It's not good for the baby. You are carrying our family's heir. You should take care of yourself and the baby."

I felt happy with their concern and felt hopeful that my child would change my situation and make my mother in-law love me. The first time I saw my mother in-law I thought she was a kind hearted lady. She looked like an angel to me but she turned out to be a devil.

Days passed, everyone were treating well with extra love and care. My mother in-law would even make me eat food forcefully if I didn't eat properly. But my husband wouldn't even see my face.

Few days later, he informed everyone that the results of oucet were released and said, "Now I could get seat in the Central University for M.Sc. Maths." To which my father in-law said, "No." To which my husband said, "None of my classmates got marks like me and even my lecturers suggested me to not discontinue my studies." To which my father in-law said, "How long will you study? I let you study B.Sc. and B.Ed. You are already the most educated in our village. That's enough. No need to study more. If you can get a job, do it or else just come to the farm with me. It will also lessen my burden." To which my husband said, "Im just 21. I want to study. Just give me two more years. I would never ask anything from you." To which my father in-law said, "Didn't I already say that you can't study. Don't you want to earn even after knowing that your wife is pregnant? Be responsible and start earning." To which my husband angrily went to our room followed by my brother in-law.

My grandmother in-law and mother in-law tried to convince my father in-law but he didn't pay any attention to them.

In the night, I tried to talk to my husband but he didn't talk. The next morning, he didn't go the farm and sat on the bed thinking about something deeply. I stared at him feeling guilty for his state and suddenly his eyes met mine and he gave me a smile which made me fear and to my horror he showed me a pesticide bottle and before I could reach him, he gulped down the poison and I immediately snatched the bottle from him and threw it away. He pulled me towards him and said, "You want a child right! Congratulations! You will have one in few months and also congratulations you will also become a widow now."

I was sacred and immediately went out of our room to inform everyone. But my brother in-law went to our room before I said and took his brother to the hospital. I didn't know how but there was also an auto ready infront of our house. My father in-law called for another auto and we all followed them to the hospital. I didn't stop crying for a second while my grandmother in-law was consoling me. My mother in-law scolded my father in-law saying, "Are you happy now? Or do you want the rest of us to drink poison too?" My father in-law didn't saying anything as he was also in shock.

My father in-law too had tears in his eyes seeing his son's state but controlled himself and my mother in-law stopped crying only after the doctor said, "He is out of danger. It's good that you brought him on time."

After we met, he didn't talk to anyone other than his brother. The doctors said that he would be discharged after three days. We all went back home and informed Shanthi aunt about the condition. She came along with the family the next day itself.

My brother in-law and Shanthi aunt's son, Rahul took turns to stay with him in the hospital in the nights. My mother in-law stopped talking to my father in-law. Shanthi aunt and her husband, scolded my father in-law and said, "You should be glad that you have a son who is interested in studies. Everyone can't get seats in such universities. Just give him two more years." To which my father in-law said, "Ok. I'll give him two more years. But not in Hyderabad. I don't want him to stay away from us." To which uncle said, "You already stopped him from studying B.Sc and B.Ed in Hyderabad even though he got seats in good colleges and he didn't even fight back. But now there are no P.G. colleges here. You don't even have any other choice other than letting him study in Hyderabad." To which my father in-law said, "Ok. But he should go to the college from home and should come home everyday. No hostel."

Shanthi aunt stood up suddenly and said, "What are you saying? How can he travel so much everyday? When will he get time to study if he spends all his time travelling? No need for any hostels. He will stay with us." To which my father in-law said, "I won't let. Either he will go to the college from home everyday or he will stop his studies and help me in the farm." Before Shanthi aunt could say anything more, my husband said, "I'll go to the college from home." To which Shanthi aunt said, "When will you study if you spend hours in travelling?" To which my husband said, "I'll manage aunt. I just want to attend the college."

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow.