16-20

Chapter 16: Boil The Hound Once The Rabbit Is Caught

The Su family was a large clan that was a level above the other clans as only high ranking officials were able to hold the position of managing the matters of the military horse and their rations.

Su family's status of managing the military horses was already in place since the founding of Ming Qi and was managed very well. Ping Nan Bo, Su Yu, was no exception. From his perspective, the Su family was splendid and would certainly continue on for a long time. Perhaps loyal officials would have thought that as long as one was to faithfully work, the Imperial family would not treat them unfairly.

But since the ancient times, accompanying one's sovereign was like accompanying a tiger. In this world, who would be able to predict it clearly?

Su Yu would be forty years old when the year ends and could be considered quite loving to his Furen. Even though he had a few concubines, they only gave birth to daughters. Since there were only two Di sons, he was always very strict with their education.

His eldest son, Su Ming Feng, started to serve in the government at a young age and, similar to him, was in charge of the military horses and in fact did better than Su Yu in this half a year. Just some time ago, Su Ming Feng collaborated with the veterinarians in the Imperial Medical Court and reformed some guidelines regarding the military horses and because of that, the number of warhorses that died due to plague dropped by half. This was a great merit. After the military statistics were put up next month, Su Ming Feng would definitely be rewarded.

Bestowing rewards was secondary, the main thing was that this represented glory and honour. Su Yu was past his prime, and currently Su Ming Feng was of the right age when the son should succeed his father's career, thus it was time to expand Su Ming Feng's reputation. If Su Ming Feng was so outstanding, maybe he would become the next confidant and talent of the heir apparent to the throne.

Su Yu was naturally happy because of his remarkable eldest son, but his youngest son gave him a headache. Probably because his youngest son was only born when his Furen was rather old thus his Furen doted him a lot and he developed a spoilt personality. Not to mention about being as outstanding as his oldest son, even when compared to his peers, he would be found lacking.

As Su Ming Lang was not the eldest son, naturally he need not inherit the title of heir, so it did not matter if he was a little dumb. But Su Yu had an unbending personality and would not tolerate any deficiency in his own son. In order to correct this, he would test his homework after Su Ming Lang returned from the academy each day. His little son would suffer the reprimands and his Furen would cover up his shortcomings, making it seem like all hell would break loose.

But this day, Su Yu was in the study discussing some things with Su Ming Feng. Both father and son had endless things to talk about on the topic of military horses. Master Su was elated. To have such an outstanding son, what could he be unsatisfied with. As they discussed, they started to talk about Su Ming Feng's bestowment in the following month.

"In my opinion, this time His Majesty will definitely confer an official title. For the time being, don't mention bestowment of precious stones or whatever, Father is only hoping your career will be more stable. Now that the Xiong Nu have begun to stir, attention needs to be on the military horses. Ming Feng, as long as you are able to obtain His Majesty's high regard, in the future, the Su family can only go further. Your younger brother is still young, so you still need to carry the Su family on your shoulders."

Su Ming Feng nodded his head in agreement. He was in his youth and there was an upright and awe-inspiring look to his brows. However, his eyes could not help but reveal a little pride as it was the period where youths were determined not to fall short of expectations. Not only from the affirmation from his father, he was elated that the importance of the matters he managed had been steadily increasing.