41-45

Chapter 41: Servant

Up on stage, Gao Yan finally finished reading 'Circulation of Law'.

In the beginning the surroundings were silent before a whispered discussion erupted. The students did not understand the meaning behind the essay but found the words and citations gorgeous. However, the Darens sitting at the male side of the banquet understood the depth, and even though this essay seemed inconsequential, it could inadvertently point out the loopholes in Ming Qi's laws and while making clever suggestions on what changes were to be made. For a student, this was somewhat inconceivable.

The examiners on the stage did not expect Gao Yan to be someone who hid his real knowledge. But rules were meant to be kept, thus, when they were suspicious of a student's performance, they would be tested, just like Shen Miao's painting before. In all fairness, this 'Circulation of Law' was much superior than Shen Miao's painting as it was literally well written and practical. The examiner questioned, "As per the essay that was read out, Ming Qi's laws cover a wide scope and as for the sub categories, what kind of breakdown should there be?"

Gao Yan's heart jump for joy. Other than that 'Circulation of Law' in the manuscript, there was also a question that was exactly the same as what the examiner asked. He was really grateful to the person who helped him by writing this manuscript and thought to reward some more money in the future. Therefore, he calmly raised his head and answered according to the manuscript, "It is divided in three portions. Merchants' portion, officials' portion and commoners' portion should respectively..."

Off the stage, Historian Adviser Jing was grinning from ear to ear. To reach his position in the official circle, he only relied on the Emperor's support and his wide network. As for real abilities, he did not have any. It was good that he had Gao Jing, a good son who could help him to deal with a lot of matters at his young age. Now, with his second son who had displayed such unusual improvements in talents, he would've to go to his ancestral hall to burn two big incense sticks as offerings.

Gao Jing was smarter than his father and did not believe that his own younger brother could possess such wisdom. To be this eloquent even with the examiner's question, it could not be that he was able to bribe even the examiners. Thus, he was unable to understand at all.

Pei Lang picked the teacup on the table to take a sip, but his hand was somewhat trembling. He did not know why, but every sentence that Gao Yan spoke felt as if imprinted in his mind. That kind of familiarity made him feel ridiculous and the anxiety in his heart could not be quelled. 

Su Ming Lang took a short nap and upon waking up saw the people around him staring at Gao Yan with a look of appreciation. He tugged Master Su's sleeves and asked, "Father, is what he spoke really good?"

"A highly-talented youth." Father Su directly commented.

Su Ming Lang pouted as if it was incomprehensible. After turning around and not seeing Su Ming Feng's figure, he asked, "Why is Oldest Brother not back?"

Master Su lightly coughed, "Now that your Eldest Brother is weak, it is actually with great reservations that he came today. So let him rest for a while more."

Fu Xiu Yi heard the commotion there and glanced at Master Su. Seeing that Master Su was not even changing his expression when mentioning Su Ming Feng, he retracted his gaze thoughtfully.

In any case, Gao Yan had fought today's battle very beautifully and as for the questions that the examiners posed, he could answer them naturally and thus dispelled the suspicion in everyone's heart. Needless to say, he naturally had gotten a 'first rank'. Ranking was only the second thing as from this day onwards, when one mentions Historian Adviser Jing, other than Gao Jing, one would know that he had a highly talented second son.