73-74

Chapter 73: Shen Qiu

As Shen Xin withdrew the troops from the front and returned to the Ding capital, a wave of uproar was set off.

The first was naturally to praise Shen Xin's heroic acts and for emerging victorious in every battle that he was able to take the enemy down in advance. The Emperor would definitely bestow countless of things down and since Shen Xin was an official of the first rank, there was no more promotion but everyone guessed that the rewards will end up on Shen Xin's Di son, Shen Qiu.

The other matter was that on the day of Shen Xin return to the capital it coincided with Old Shen Furen's birthday, but unexpectedly the ancestral hall caught fire and the Fifth Young Lady Shen was trapped in there. On that day, everyone in the Shen family treated it lightly and Shen Xin witnessed it himself. One fear that the Shen family would not be peaceful in the future.

These two things were spread wildly in the capital. Some smiled while listening to it but others were like ants on a hot pan, going around anxiously after they heard it.

In a room in the Shen residence Western courtyard, Shen Miao stood up with her clothes draped over her shoulders. Shen Xin and his wife were summoned into the Palace by the Emperor but before they left, they deliberately mobilised the guards in the army to guard the Western courtyard, practically letting the Shen family see clearly that they were defending against them.

Yesterday Shen Xin returned back in a hurry and also went all over the place to look for a physician. Afterwards Shen Miao went to rest and he did not dare to disturb, thus he had yet to speak to Shen Miao.

"Is Young Lady feeling better?" Jing Zhe said worriedly. Her eyes fell onto Shen Miao's arm that was wrapped with gauze and her eyes turn sour. She said, "If this servant was faster a little yesterday, Young Lady would not have to suffer such an ordeal. And now there will be scars..."

The burn wound was too deep and the physician only said that it will heal, but it was not possible for there not to be a scar. Females cherished their own appearance and would not let there be a scar on their body. Now that Shen Miao had a burn injury, Jing Zhen kept blaming herself endlessly when she thought about it.

"It is nothing." Shen Miao looked at her and said with a smile, "You did a good job yesterday and did not rush in due to anxiety. On the contrary, If you were to rush in, it would have spoiled my plans."

Jing Zhe lowered her head. After Shen Miao fainted, Shen Xin couple was enraged and after some thought, she roughly understood what kind of intention Shen Miao had on mind. Because of that, Jing Zhe heart ached more for Shen Miao, most likely the path was exhausted and she was at the end of the road, else she would not hesitate to throw herself into such a danger to show the true faces of the Shen family to Shen Xin couple.

An unmarried female at such a young age should originally be like other families' young ladies playing the Qin and writing poetry, but every move that Shen Miao took was related to her own life. She had to work out a strategy for what she wanted, as if she was walking on the sharp edge of the blade and carelessness would meant no hope for reprieve.

"Whatever Young Lady says, this servant will do accordingly." Jing Zhe cried.

Shen Miao was gratified in her heart. Jing Zhe was indeed the most courageous among the four maids and if there were such similar matters in the future, Jing Zhe could be useful but naturally there was a need to slowly nurture Gu Yu and the rest. She was not the unmarried Shen Miao but Empress Shen, mistress of the Six Palaces, thus there was a need for her own confidants as what she would face in the future would be much more dangerous than what was happening now. If she could get used to it, these maids should also learn to get used to it.