90-91

Chapter 90: Family

"Even if Mother does not care about me, can it be that one can also be reckless with Younger Brother's life?"

With those calm words, Ren Wan Yun's curses abruptly stopped. She looked at Shen Yuan blankly, "What did you say?"

"Now that the entire Shen residence is implicated in, the first to bear the brunt would be our Second household. Younger Sister's matter implicate us entirely, even if Father and me were to lose our official position Mother would not care, but if it involved Younger Brother would Mother not care?" Shen Yuan said.

Ren Wan Yun looked at him and in a swift moment there was some panic in her expression, "What does this got to do with Bo-er? Bo-er is still so young, how would he be related to this matter? No one is more innocent than Bo-er."

"Mother, everyone is innocent in this matter." Shen Yuan laughed grimly, "Do not tell me I am not innocent?" He tolerated and continued, "Mother, the rumours has spread out more intense and if the Shen family provoke matters now, one fear that the entire residence would suffer." He looked at Ren Wan Yun and said in a serious tone, "Even if Mother have the same feelings of ending in mutual destruction, could it be to also include Younger Brother?"

Ren Wan Yun's body shook and was unable to suppress the trembling. One knew that she indeed had that mindset. It was admittedly true that the hate she had for Shen Miao was unusual but the entire Shen residence's indifference, Shen Gui's heartlessness, Old Shen Furen's pragmatic acts and the Third household's detached eyes of a bystander made Ren Wan Yun felt a great anger towards the Shen residence. She even thought that even if Shen Qing implicated the entire Shen residence, it would not matter if the Eldest household could be pulled into it and die together. As such it can be considered revenge.

But Shen Yuan happened to point out one thing, which is that if the Shen residence really suffered a calamity, even Shen Yuan Bo would not avoid it. Since the ancient times the Emperors loved the eldest sons and the commoners doted on the youngest son. Shen Yuan was intelligent since young and Ren Wan Yun did not really worry over him, but Shen Yuan Bo was young and naughty so Ren Wan Yun doted him to the core. If Shen Yuan Bo were to also lose his life, it was be something that she was not willing to see.

"Then... Yuan-er, what should we do?" Ren Wan Yun looked at Shen Yuan, as if the state of madness she was in had left without trace, and as if Shen Yuan was her life-saving straw, her backbone.

"Mother, one cannot be greedy." Shen Yuan looked at her as his eyes were filled with brutal cruelty, "You can only choose one, Younger Sister or Younger Brother."

*****

Outside the Ding capital's Government Office's prison, there stood a guard outside.

In the case of the extermination of the entire Prince Yu's household, Shen Qing was indeed in a very awkward position. On the surface, she was also a pitiful person as she only just married when the massacre happened and fortunately manage to escape with her life. But in the depths of the investigation, there were many areas of doubts in the case and perhaps it was possible that Shen Qing was involved. Even if she was not involved, with all the different guesses and rumours, it was enough for her name to become the topic of conversation in the entire street. As such, it would have been cleaner if she had died in the massacre case.

Emperor Wen Hui's attitude towards the case was also intriguing. Even though it was said to have been immediately investigated, but the matter was given directly to the Administer of the Capital and the Government Office, and the Emperor had not even ask about it at all. With Emperor Wen Hui's kinship feelings with Prince Yu, it would absolutely not be easily pass off. Since it had always been difficult to guess the Monarch's mind, the officials below were unable to guess what the Emperor wanted to do and could only sent Shen Qing to prison, pending for trial.