21-25

Chapter 21: Dressmaking

Regardless of what kind of turmoil that rose in the capital, or whatever undercurrent that was forming, from the surface there would always be singing and dancing... The annual Chrysanthemum banquet was approaching and since Guang Wen Tang's academy examinations was very close to the Chrysanthemum banquet, both event were done together.

Unlike previous years, with this, the academy examination had become a big event as all the noble families would attend the banquet.

Early in the morning, Old Shen Furen sent her maid, Xi-er, to the West courtyard saying that she had invited the tailor for the Chrysanthemum banquet clothes and also invited Shen Miao to take a pick.

Shen Miao nodded her head in agreement.

In previous academy examinations, Shen Miao would wear normally as she usually end up at the bottom so others would laugh if she were to wear something prominent. Now with the combination of the academy examinations and the Chrysanthemum banquet, it would not be logical not to make new clothes.

During the Chrysanthemum banquet, many officials and their furens would be there, mostly to look for their future daughters-in-law. So for families with daughters, would not only attend but also to dress up to portray their beauty. Even though Old Shen Furen did not like the First household, she still have to do it on surface. Moreover for Old Shen Furen, who would only look out for her own interest, would definitely use Shen Miao's marriage to exchange for power and may even sell her off.

Bai Lu appeared to be somewhat happy as she accompanied Shen Miao towards Rong Jing Tang, "Did not expect that the Chrysanthemum banquet would be here so soon. Young Lady like the Chrysanthemum banquet and at that time, there would be opportunities to enjoy the flowers."

Shen Miao like the Chrysanthemum banquet but not because of enjoying the viewing of the flowers. Whenever there is such a banquet, she would be the faintly discernible and would be isolated and that was of course fuelled by Shen Yue and Shen Qing. She was also stupid and dull and would not dressed appropriately so she would be laughed at without even knowing.

She loved the Chrysanthemum banquet but it was because of Fu Xiu Yi.

At the Chrysanthemum banquet a year ago, Fu Xiu Yi was also present. At that day she was also being laughed at and alone. The Chrysanthemum gardens were filled with beautiful purples and brilliant reds thus everyone when to look for the reddest and brightest while she walked to a corner where she saw a pot of white Chrysanthemum.

The white Chrysanthemum was most likely used during funerals and would naturally not a joyous thing moreover this Chrysanthemum blossomed quite miserably. Some of the petals were withered and one would not know if it was the rain or wind that did it, as it stood alone in a corner without any one's attention.

Most likely fellow suffers empathised with each other, Shen Miao felt that she herself and that chrysanthemum were exactly the same. Just one person all alone, where no one would see. Just as her heart was lamenting, she saw a formal dressed male walking to the front of that chrysanthemum.

He reached out to the spray of blossom and gently stroke the petals. The person by his side asked, "Ninth Younger Brother, this flower is just miserable, what is there nice to look at?"

The male smiled, "Pity that it is delicate without anything to depend on."

It was this sentence 'pity that it is delicate without anything to depend on' that made Shen Miao have a favourable impression of that man. When that male turn over, she was even more captivated by this handsome appearance.

Afterwards Shen Miao learned from the women that that was His Majesty's Ninth Prince, Fu Xiu Yi.

Perhaps there was no reason to why one would to admire another during their youth. Fu Xiu Yi's words was clearly about the chrysanthemum but she felt that it was empathizing her. She thought that if she were to marry such a gentle person, he would also feel tenderness towards her just like he did to that lonely flower.