𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 || 𝐛𝐞𝐧 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐧𝐞

you were ben's childhood best friend, and sure, growing up with him and his stubborn personality wasn't always easy, but you loved it about him. you've grown up together, never leaving the other ones side. when ben and his family decided to take the trip to jamaica, you were invited along. of course you'd go, who says no to a trip to jamaica?

once you arrived in jamaica, everything was perfect. the sandy white beaches, the crystal waters, the smell of sunscreen and coconuts, the taste of a fresh pina colada hitting your lips, what could've been better?

that is, until it was time to pack up and leave, and you arrived in the airport, with ben and michaela and their parents, grace, his two kids, and yourself. you've always been like a second aunt to cal, and watching him battle through his cancer was horrible for you to watch, so when the announcement for a later flight came on, rewarding a 400 dollar voucher, you took it to help cal.

as you boarded the flight, everything was normal. you looked around at all these strangers, thinking that's all they'd ever be. you didn't know that soon, you would know all of these passengers almost as well as you knew yourself.

"michaela, how are you and jared?" you ask smiling. "i heard he proposed?"

"yeah, he did. he makes me really happy, but the idea of marriage has always been so scary to me."

ben turns and looks at her. "say yes to jared, this family needs something to celebrate. he makes you happy, all we want for you is for you to be happy." he says with a smile, as he turns and looks at you.

you've always felt your heart flutter when ben considered you family, you were always closer with the stones then you ever were with your own family.

"ladies and gentlemen, please fasten your seatbelts and ensure that your lap table is folded up." a voice comes over the intercom

soon after, the plane hits the sky, it's a normal ride to begin with, you have earbuds in playing music, your eyes closed and relaxed. eventually, the entire plane began to shake. your eyes shoot open, and you look over to ben, cal, and michaela. ben's hands firmly gripped the arm rests, michaela closed her eyes and took deep breaths, and cal was gripping onto his dad for dear life.

the shaking went on for a good 45 seconds, it sounded like we flew into a category 5 hurricane, the roof felt like it was going to fly off, and everything felt like it was spinning. then it stopped, and everything was normal, as if nothing ever happened.

the flight starts to descent for landing, and ben, michaela and you allpull out your phones to take them off airplane mode. "i have no service." michaela uttered. "me neither." you mutter back.

as the flight hits the runway, you look out the window to see flashing red and blue lights. the plane was surrounded by cops.

all 191 passengers descended from the plane. even the cops had their mouths gaping in shock.

"excuse me, there are sick people here. what's going on?" a passenger called out, it was freezing cold, everyone just wanted to go home. you looked over and cal was trembling.

"the problem, ladies and gentlemen, is that your plane departed montego bay, jamaica, on april 7, 2013. today is november 4, 2018. you've all been missing, presumed dead, for 5 1/2 years."

the crowd of passangers gasp, their mouths open, with a mix of fear and shock. your mind shot like a rollercoaster in seconds. everything fell over you at once.

*time skip*

two weeks later, you and ben were living together in a cheap apartment. ben came home to grace married to another man, olive wouldn't stop crying, it was a mess. cal's back at home with his mom, with ben and grace having split custody over the two. and here you were, not having a single clue what to do.

you and ben have been living off of microwave meals, trying to figure out a way to get back to work. ben's position at work, gone. your position as a therapist, gone. you had absolutely everything taken from you.

the only apartment the two of you could afford anymore was an empty studio apartment on the rough side of new york. the entire apartment was empty, aside from a half eaten pizza, sitting in its box cold, two sleeping bags, and a lamp.

you were laying down into your sleeping bag, getting ready for bed. ben, already laying down. "what are we going to do?" ben asked, sounding hopeless. the moon was reflecting down into the room through the open blinds, lightening ben's face, showing his hopeless and pleading expression.

"you know i always have a plan." you chuckle. you sit up from the sleeeping bag, legs crosssd. "tommorow we're gonna get a big breakfast, and spend the day applying for new jobs. technically my liscense is still valid, and even though we were gone for 5 and a half years, your qualifications are still here. we'll put out applications tommorow." you smile over at him,
as he's now sitting up as well.

"i love how you always have a plan. you're always looking at the positives and the bright side." he scoots over closer.

"of course, it's my job as your best friend to keep you safe and happy." you smile.

he leans closer, his eyes on yours, glancing down at your lips and back up to your eyes. suddenly, his lips are pressed against yours. you pull back suddenly, shocked. "are you sure you want this?" you whisper, inches away from his lips. he kisses you again before separating the two of your lips. "does that answer your question?" you lean back in, smashing your lips onto his. "i've wanted this for too long" you whisper into the kiss.

he pulls back, catching his breath. the moons light dimmed, the room darker, you reach over and flick the lamp on the floor on. "you were the first person i ever had eyes for. yeah yeah, people always think it's adorable that grace and i were high school sweethearts, and yeah, i did fall in love with grace, but that was only because i thought i'd never be able to have you." ben half whispers, rubbing his thumb against the back of your hand.