𝐚𝐬 𝐢𝐭 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐚𝐩𝐬𝐞𝐝 || 𝐣𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐯𝐚𝐬𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐳

you were working the day cal got his calling. jared was your partner, who was also on shift. you had gotten reports of a large group of 828 passengers being held in a facility. you and jared, as well as some other teams were sent out to investigate.

"jared, i have a feeling this isn't gonna end well." you said to him on the car ride over.

"i promise you, i wouldn't let anything happen to you. you know that." he reassures you.

you drive pretty far out, far enough to where it has you questioning if it's even within your jurisdiction. as the two of you step out, you see cal, ben, and vance standing there, as well as multiple teams.

"i followed a headache, may as well follow a crayon drawing." you heard vance argue with ben. you watched the suited man storm away, back to attempting to solve this calling.

"hey buddy, what did you draw?" you said, bending down to his level. you knew from micheala that his callings often came in the form of drawings, so you decided the best way to start would be to ask him about it. jared stood behind you, looking around the area.

"see, there's the x, right there." cal explained. "i know they're here, i just know it." he says.

"ma'am, we checked inside and out, there's no signs even proving anyone was ever here." a team member explained to you.

"sir, this is gonna sound really strange, but i believe him. conduct a full search. even go as far as looking underground if you have to." you tell the same team member.

"yes ma'am." he said, commanding the rest of his team your instructions. "are you sure this is the right descion?" jared whispers in your ear.

"i'm sure." you say to him. you hold his hand, squeezing it for reassurance. only a few seconds later, the squad yells that they found something.

you and jared run over, hands on your weapons. "be careful." jared warns, as you step into the cavern the team found. "i am, i am." you joke with him.

as the team steps down, everyone shuffles down the hallways, weapons in hand.

the team comes across a room full of the 828 passengers, and immediately yells "NYPD! DROP ANY WEAPONS". as soon as that, all possible evidence is being destroyed. the passengers began screaming in agony, and ben and cal have come close to fainting out of the pain they were all collectively enduring.

the rest of it all went by in a blur. the last thing you heard was jared scream your name, and now you were waiting in a hospital room.

you were waiting at jared's bedside. all that they had told you was the cavern collapsed and jared pushed you out before it did, leaving him behind in the rubble.

you looked over at him, still unconscious, covered in dirt and blood. "i'm sorry." you sobbed. "it should've been me" you said through tears.

you're holding his hand, and suddenly you felt his thumb rub over the back of your hand. somehow, it only made you cry more. you weren't sure if they were tears of joy because he was okay, or tears of guilt because you knew it should've been you lying there instead.

"i love you, i'm sorry." the tears just kept falling. you hear him whisper, "i love you too, y/n." and cough up blood soon after.