𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐠𝐨 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐭 || 𝐳𝐞𝐤𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐧

"every life was worth living."

that phrase was everywhere around your husband's office. everytime you went to bring him coffee, you saw the phrase. zeke was a therapist, of course they'd have phrases like that around.

it honestly made you think, was your life worth living? evie's was, and you took that away from her. she still had the rest of her life ahead of her.

the guilt ate you alive. zeke knew that, with his empathic abilities. he knew that her birthday was coming up, and from chloe, how difficult birthday's always were.

* the morning of evie's birthday *

"good morning, my love." you felt zeke's warm breath hit your neck as he placed a warm kiss, then multiple kisses trailing down to your collarbone.

some birthday's were easier than others. you'd learned that over the past few years. today didn't feel like it'd be easy. you missed evie everyday. she would've known what to do the last couple of years with 828, at least made jokes to support you and help you get by.

"good morning." you whisper back, a slight smile creeping onto your face as he pecked your neck.

you put a hand on the bottom of his chin, and pull his lips towards yours, pressing yours against his softly.

"i'll go start on breakfast, okay?" he whispers sweetly once you pull away. you nod your head in agreement. he pulls the sheets off of himself and heads downstairs.

you stare up at the ceiling, and you can already feel the tears starting to form. a few ones fall down your cheeks, but you quickly wipe their away.

you walked downstairs, the smell of fresh pancakes and orange juice filling the air. cal walked down a few moments after you, still rubbing his eyes from waking up.

there wasn't an ounce of emotion on your face. it felt wrong, to have any sense of happiness on a day like this. a few years ago, this would've been any normal day, but because of you, and because you chose to drink that night, it'll forever be a reminder of grief and loss.

"here's your plate, darling." zeke said, passing you a plate of pancakes drizzled in syrup, with a side of eggs and bacon. he pressed a kiss to the top of your hand, giving you a look of sympathy.

cal got the memo quickly and grabbed a piece of bacon before running back up the stairs.

you played around with the food using your fork, not having much of an appetite. you feel two warm arms wrap around you from behind, a pair of lips pressed up against your cheek. "y/n, it's okay to let go of the past. you don't have to grieve forever. evie wouldn't have wanted that for you." he says.

he was right, the tears began to flow down your cheeks. "if evie we're here, she'd be calling me a dramatic bitch and tell me to get over myself." you laugh through tears, zeke let's out a chuckle, pressing another kiss to your cheek.

"let's take cal, olive, and eden out to the zoo today, how's that sound?" zeke asks, holding your hands from across the counter.

"i'd like that. it sounds fun." you smile sweetly. no matter what, zeke always managed to find a way to cheer you up.

"kids! get ready! we're going to the zoo!" zeke yells up the stairs. you could hear eden yelling a quiet "yay!" while olive and cal russeled around upstairs, getting ready.