Chapter 1

I'm Hayashi Rika, third year. My family owns a prestigious dessert company. We have several chain stores, from selling ice cream to cakes to cookies. We also have a well trained police force and a bookstore chain line along with a famous publishing company. A lot huh? That's cause my mom's side owned the bookstore and publishing company. My dad's side owned the dessert company. When they got married, they formed the police force. It's an interesting mix.

When I was little, I took martial arts classes. I sometimes trained with the police force. Then right before middle school, a scandal occurred with the Hayashi Sweets. Emploees were quitting. Employers were randomly firing people. It was chaotic, and my parents got their hands full with the scandals. When they tried to use the publishing company clear it up, the Oshiro Press (my mom's last name) also got caught up in the scandal.

My older sis, Kimiko, was in her last year of middle school when I was in my last year of elementary. She went to Ouran High School. I took this chance to persuade my parents to send me to a public middle school. I told them that it'd get me out of their way and out of the public. They wouldn't have to worry about me or the press coming to bother me. They agreed and sent me to a public middle school under a different surname.

Ah, those days were so fun! I found some misfits at the school and we created a gang. Yes, a gang! We went and fought other school gangs. And thanks to me, we always won. Not everyone in my gang could fight though. For the most part, it was just me, Akane, and Goofy. We were invincible!

I tried to keep the news of me fighting quiet. If my parents found out, I'd never be able to leave their sights again. I told my friends my situation. I bribed anybody who found out about me. Then, halfway through my last year of middle school, as the scandal was finally quieting down, the news of my gang slipped out.

My parents were furious. They stormed into our club room with some of their police force with them. They grabbed me and tossed me into the car and drove away.

They said it was Goofy that had reported to the principal. I never got a chance to ask him. I was dragged away before I could. But I don't think it was him. He knew that if my parents found out, I'd be gone. And he would never... ever... do something like that.

At least, that's what I thought.

I'm not sure if I still believe that. Am I just lying to myself? Ah, but who cares. I'll never see him again. Now, I've become a prim and proper young lady. I was immediately sent to an all-girls boarding school for the richies in Southern Japan. I stayed there for the remainder of my middle school. Then for two more years of high school.

I learned to not resist.

I acted the way they wanted me to. I was dainty and petite and pretty and quiet. I smiled a lot and spoke softly. I wore all the frilly and ugly dresses they wanted me to. I walked  around with an umbrella to stay out of the sun. I did everything they wanted me to do.

But really, I was just biding my time. Once I was out of high school, I'd take the first chance to go study abroad. Kimiko-nee would probably take over the family anyway. I could find some business opportunity abroad and stay far away from my family. Forever.