Chapter 18

"Good morning, Rika." Mom said, drinking her morning cup of coffee.

"Good morning." I sat down, and Izanami set down at tray of buttered toast, fresh strawberries, scrambled eggs, and my own special coffee.

Mom eyed my breakfast incredulously. When I first met Azumi, I gave her a list of foods I liked for each meal. From that day on, she coordinated my meals, picking things from the list and adding other things she thought I might like. It was nice, actually, not having to pick what to eat three times a day.

"About the Host Club, Rika, I have looked into it. I do not approve of it, so you will quit the club tomorrow morning." She looked at me with a sharp gaze.

She was probably worried that I'd argue back, and I was tempted to. The Host Club was getting me money. But, more importantly, it was fun, and it was where my friends were at.

I was sleepy and rubbed at my eyes. It was too early. I hadn't gotten enough sleep. I didn't have much will to fight back. Besides, what would the point be? I could never win against her.

So I just nodded. "Understood."

Mom kept watching me critically, as if expecting a sudden outburst. I was not going to blow my cover, not over the Host Club. All I had to do was survive several more months and then I'd be free. I could do whatever I wanted to.

"When I told you to join a club, I meant an intellectual one. Not a silly one to play around with. You are far too old for that, Rika. You should have known that before you even considered joining the Host Club. I do admit that the Host Club is filled with handsome, young men which may entice you to join, however, one must never succumb to one's desires."

"Can I still be their friends?" I asked, biting into the eggs.

"Hm.. I suppose," Mom said. "Just not that commoner girl. She's definitely trouble. Pretending to be a boy, ridiculous. That's what commoners are. Ridiculous, silly fools who couldn't possibly make the right decisions."

I hated this side of Mom. She looked down on "commoners," even without knowing any personally. What was with this prejudice? I couldn't help but agree with what Kimiko had said yesterday. Trying to join that Funaki family to ours was just for more money and power. But why did we need any more? Didn't we have enough already? We were a billionaire family. We were already better off than 99.9% of the population. We were probably better off than 99% of the entire world population. Why want more?

Greed is such an ugly sin.

"But the rest are fine?" I said.

"Yes. You may want to avoid the Suoh boy a bit though, being a bastard child and all. I do approve of associating with Ootori Kyoya and the Haninozuka and Morinozuka children. They will be excellent contacts."

I finished my breakfast and wiped my mouth daintly. "Yes, mother. I understand. Thank you for your advice. What club would you suggest I join then?"

Mom smiled. Yes, she had won. Again. But once I graduate, I'd be the WINNER.