Part 47

After the fudge cake, Mitsukuni asked me to bake a pumpkin cake. Then there was another white chocolate one, and this red velvet kind of thing, and then... By the time Kimiko's birthday party came around, I'd already baked about ten different kinds of cakes. And he ate all of the cakes - every last crumb.

"Rika, what recipe did you use for those cupcakes? Can you give it to the kitchen staff? Unless you want to

bake it all by yourself," Kimiko was saying.

I shook my head. "I've had enough baking for a week."

She grinned. "Well okay then! Oh, and make sure you wear something nice tonight!"

"Yes," I said with a dull nod. I trudged up to my room to do a bit of homework before the party began. I was expected to be there until all the guests left. That was why I hated parties hosted at home.

Masahiko's family was invited. His parents weren't like other Ouran students' parents. His mom was a daughter of a wealthy stockbroker, and, although had plenty of money, had little power or influence in the community. His dad was a skilled and well-known neurosurgeon. His family used to be in the manufacturing field, but the company bankrupted suddenly. His parents had saved up money just so he could attend Ouran.

No wonder Mom wouldn't approve of him. He wasn't backed by some huge company and name like the Host Club boys were. He only had some money and that was it.

His parents seemed pretty nice, though. I was only able to greet them. The rest of the evening was spent next to my parents as they spoke to important business peeps. I just had to stand there, smile, and nod.

The orange cupcakes seemed quite popular and the kitchen staff were kept busy. It made me want to slip into the kitchen and help them out. But I was a host and had to stay right here.

Mitsukuni's family was invited too. He grinned and waved at me periodically, but I couldn't go and talk to him. Kyoya's family was also invited, and my parents chatted with his dad for a super long time.

Then there was Minoru's family. His dad was a rather stern man, with a squarish face and thin lips pressed together in a frown. His hair was obviously dyed black and cropped up in a neat fashion. His mom, on the other hand, was very different. She was a bubbly kind of person and seemed to adore her sons.

"Oh, it's great to finally be able to meet you, Hayashi Rika!" she said with a bright grin. "I'm Funaki Ume. I've heard a bit about you from my son. Oh! Have you met my oldest? Go on and introduce yourself my dear."

She nudged a fidgeting pretty boy forward. He had lighter brown hair than Minoru that curled slightly and a rounder face. If anything, he looked younger than his younger brother. His hazel eyes were wide and he blushed when he met my gaze.