Chapter 17

Kimiko was already there when I arrived with Azumi, wearing a sunny-yellow dress and black cardigan. Mom and Kimiko were seated at the living room, with a tray of tea and crackers in front of them. The entire house was super clean. I'd never seen it so clean before.

"Ah, Rika," Mom stood up from her seat, black kimono and all. She smiled. "Welcome home. It's good to see you dear. Now sit down so we can have a proper chat as a family."

That usually meant that she had news. It could be good or bad. I sat down next to Kimiko, opposite Mom. A maid came by and poured me a cup of tea.

"Thank you," I murmured when the maid handed the warm cup to me.

"I see you still have that odd habit of thanking our servants, Rika." Mom said. "I suppose it's not that terrible. Now, I have some good news for you, Kimiko dear."

"Oh, uh, Mom, I have news too." Kimiko said with a bright beam.

Mom smiled back, folding her arms into her lap. "I'm sure you do. Let me tell you first okay? Now, I have found you an excellent future husband."

Kimiko's smile vanished. Her eyes widened and her mouth dropped opened. "B-But! M-Mom! I have-"

"Is there a problem with this?" Mom's smile, if possible, became brighter.

I sat there watching. Kimiko rarely fought back against Mom, so I'd thought she would just accept it. Even if it was about her future husband, and she did like that one dude...

At first, she sat there staring at her hands on her knees. She looked like she was going to accept it. What choice did she have anyway? Then her eyes hardened and she stared straight at Mom's smiling face.

"Yes! There is."

It was quite unexpected really. Even Mom flinched, surprised at the sudden harshness in Kimiko's voice.

Mom stopped smiling and stared calmly at Kimiko instead. "And what is this problem?" She crossed her arms.

"I already have a boyfriend," Kimiko replied. She looked down, biting her lip. "Since last week actually, but since you were coming, I thought I'd tell you in person. And tell Rika too."

"That is no excuse. You'll break up with him in a few months anyway. I've met the boy. He's a sweet one. I'm sure you'll come to like him, Kimiko." Mom just brushed it all away. She wasn't startled at all that Kimiko had a boyfriend. But I...

"A boyfriend?" I leaned closer towards Kimiko. "Who is it?"

She looked at me with a shy smile, a small blush dusting her cheeks. "Masahiko-kun! Finally! After all these years!"

Wow. How long had she been crushing on him? And finally her unrequited love became her boyfriend? That's so nice! And great! It just proves that unrequited love can always have a chance!