Part 56

I woke up to a strange noise. Like a sputtering and weak engine. Or a broken record.

"Wh-What - How - Rika-sama - Why?" It was loud and rather incoherent. "Why is - What is-What is going on?!"

I opened my eyes reluctantly. I wanted to keep sleeping, tucked safely under these warm blankets with Mitsukuni...

I sat up with a jerk when I realized Azumi was standing beside my bed. Her face was beet red, and I'd never seen her blushing before. She was hopping around as if she were on hot coals, unsure of what to say and what to do.

Her hand reached up to cover her eyes and she sighed. "Oh goodness gracious. Rika-sama... Just what happened?"

I glanced over to my side, where Mitsukuni lay, an arm on my waist. "Uh, um. Wait, what? Nothing happened, if that's what you're worried about. We just watched a horror movie and couldn't sleep cause it was too scary. So he came over and we fell asleep together. We didn't do anything though. Like, we didn't do it, you know."

She turned an even darker shade of red. "I-I wasn't asking! Any-Anyway!" She cleared her throat. "Please wake him up or you'll be late." Then she hurried out of the room.

Oh great. I never thought of what would happen if Azumi found us here. Meh, whatever. I don't care.

I shook Mitsukuni's shoulder while saying, "Wake up Mitsukuni. Morning. Rise and shine."

He didn't budge. I guess he probably hadn't gotten much sleep either. I sighed, rubbing my eyes. "Come on." I lied back down to stare at his peaceful face. So warm... So comfortable... So sleepy.

I closed my eyes, relaxing.
"Rika-sama! Wake up! Don't go back to sleep!"

Ugh. I frowned. Then I grudgingly sat back up. Azumi stood out in the hall, watching through the open door. I glared at her and she stared back fiercely.

"Okay, I get," I said. Then I went back to trying to wake Mitsukuni. "Yo. Get up or we'll be late."

It seemed he was still asleep. Then I said in a panicked tone, "Quick Mitsukuni! My mom found us here and now she's going to throw you out and keep the two of us from ever seeing each other! Let's get out of here and elope!"
He twitched and his eyes opened, narrowed and annoyed. Yeah he definitely wanted more sleep. "What?"

"Yay! You woke up!" I hugged him, hoping that'd dispel his bad mood. It seemed to work because when I pulled away, he was smiling. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer, burrowing his face into my neck.

"Let me sleep some more," he murmured.

Oh damn.

My face burned crimson. "Mi-Mitsukuni, want to, um, yeah... Can you let go? We're going to be late."