Part 27

I could feel the bubbly happiness in me fizzling away. I forced a smile. "Hello, Mom. You're back."

She nodded. "Yes. I'll be leaving again soon though. But, we must continue our discussion from last week. You said that you had a reason why you wouldn't - why you couldn't - marry Minoru-kun. Please tell us today."

"But-" I glanced at Minoru, who was sitting next to my mom with his legs crossed and a smirk on his face. Argh, I really want to wipe that arrogant smirk off his stupid face. "Like I said last time, I don't want to say it in front of him." I gestured at Minoru. When I had first said that, I hadn't actually had any good excuse, but only said it in an attempt to get myself out of the engagement. Thank goodness I'd said something like that though. Now I could try and persuade Mom to back out thanks to Honey.

"Any reason you have to say to me, you can say to him." Mom said, crossing her arms. Wow, what a cliche statement. Couldn't she have thought of something a bit more original?

I sighed, staring at my feet. "Well. I already have a boyfriend too."

"Since when?" Mom asked. She didn't seem surprised at all. Ah, she must think I'm lying. Since... What could I say? Since last week? But that was an outright lie.

"Since today," I said, blushing. But for Honey and I to be dating, wouldn't that require a confession? Well, there was something similar to that. I suppose. Ahh...

"That would explain your face." Mom mused quietly. She took a deep breath, obviously thinking. "My face?" I looked up, confused.

"I've never seen it so red before." Mom didn't seem upset, or surprised, or anything for that matter. Just calculating, carefully planning out her next move. I was playing a dangerous game of chess against her, and she had the greatest advantages in her hands.

Minoru, on the other hand, was frowning. "Who is it?" he asked.

"Why should I tell you?" I replied back with creased brows. I pouted ever so slightly. "If the school finds out..."

"Alright," Mom said.
"Alright what?" I asked, snapping my attention back to her.

The limo stopped in front of a white and robin's egg blue mansion. Mom turned to Minoru with a smile. "Thank you for accompanying me today." The driver opened the limo door.

"But," Minoru glanced outside at what I presumed was his house. Mom's smile brightened, and he shrugged. "Thank you." He bowed slightly then exited the limo.

The limo began to move once again.
"Now, who is your boyfriend? And why were you at the amusement park in the first place?" Mom asked.

"You don't know?" I said. I would have thought Azumi would have told her. "I went on a date, with Mitsukuni."