Part 39

Mitsukuni was at least forty minutes late, and we had already started eating. He didn't mind, though, calmly sitting down with a grin to eat. After lunch, which was once again light, filling, and healthy, he went to his room to change.

I'd already changed into a dress with a light pink skirt and white sleeveless top. My hair was down, falling loosely over my shoulders. Mitsukuni came out wearing brown shorts and a dark blue t-shirt with a sailboat and sea gulls on it. "Come on, Rika! Let's go see the town!"

"Okay!" I slapped a straw hat of mine on and followed him out the door. We started walking towards the

"Okay!" I slapped a straw hat of mine on and followed him out the door. We started walking towards the town's core, passing other houses, apartments, and people. "Today's really nice, huh?"

"Yeah! It's warm but not hot," he replied. "Do you guys come here often?"

"Usually once every year, but never very long," Mitsukuni said. "That dojo actually has its own sensei, but he always asks us to come visit and teach a bit."

"Wow. You really are famous," I said, grinning. He grinned back. It was always nice being with Mitsukuni. It was calming and relaxing. And there was always this strange sensation in me, deep inside. It was a feeling of safety, security, and reassurance too. Like, I just knew I'd be alright standing next to him.

Ah, if only he knew I liked him.

"We're here!" Mitsukuni said suddenly. I looked up. We were at an intersection, but there were several stores everywhere. "Come on, I want to show you this one place. It has the best cakes ever!" He grabbed my hand in the smoothest motion and led me into a nearby store.

It was a small store, with only a few tables and chairs and a counter displaying the cakes. But it was the cakes that were amazing. I rushed up to it, peering into the glass. "Wow! They're gorgeous!"

There were several cakes lined up with a few slices cut out of them, and they were all decorated in the prettiest fashion. Below were a few fruit pies and some pastries, looking just as professional and beautiful.

"Mitsu-kun!" an old man shuffled to the counter with a kind smile. "You're back!" He was a balding man, with a slightly stooped posture, dressed in a plain white t-shirt and gray shorts.

"Good afternoon, Oji-san!" Mitsukuni grinned, bowing. I hastily bowed too.

"Brought your girlfriend this time?" the old man asked teasingly, a twinkle in his gray eyes. I blushed and began shaking my head.

"No, we're just friends!" I said. "I'm Hayashi Rika."
"It's nice to meet one of Mitsu-kun's friends." He smiled warmly. "Here to try some of my cake?"

"Of course!" Mitsukuni beamed brightly. It wasn't like his Host Club smiles, where flowers drifted everywhere. It was heartfelt and honest. "Oji-san's cakes are the best!"