Part 29

Saturday afternoon, I met up with Chiyo in front of a sushi place she'd chosen. She was quite the avid sushi lover and convinced me that day that sushi was one of the best foods in the world. After lunch, we roamed about the city, looking at stores and people. She was very spirited as usual. We tried on some clothes and hats and laughed at nearly everything. At one store, Chiyo stacked seven hats on to my head until they all came tumbling down and the storekeeper started shooting ugly daggers at us.

It was fun, actually. It was perhaps the first time in years that I had genuine fun looking at clothes and shops with another girl. We visited toy stores, checking out the new fancy technology that was considered a toy for children these days, like pretty remote-controlled helicopters and learning tablets. There were a few dessert places that we peeked into but didn't order anything.

After a while, we called up the other three, and all got some ice cream. Then we visited an arcade and played games for another hour or so. Chiyo was surprisingly good at the race car games, and we competed against each other. Atsuo was amazing at the basketball shooting game, while Ikuma, an intense video gamer, reached a high score in a shooting game. They were an amusing bunch, and I personally thought the afternoon was well spent.

I still couldn't sleep very well, but I brushed it off. I busied myself studying, trying not to think of how tired I felt. Why couldn't I sleep regularly? It was so frustrating.

The next week passed quickly. Everyone was rushing to study for the coming exams. Chess Club was still in full swing, and I continued to beat the other members. I talked to Shuji and Tomiko more. Tomiko was a very kind but quiet girl. And she stammered quite a bit, but it was nice to talk to her. Honey didn't mention anything about Friday, keeping his usual bright grin.

Friday evening, I collapsed on my bed exhausted. I was only getting about six to five hours of sleep everyday thanks to my strange bout of insomnia. I sighed and closed my eyes. So... tired.

Maybe if I go for a run, I'll be able to sleep well. Tomorrow then. It's already late.

"Azumi, I want to go for a run." I said, standing in front of my maid. I'd need sneakers and running shorts or sweatpants. A comfortable t-shirt would be nice too. But currently I was wearing a simple, black skirt and a white, polo shirt.

"A run?" She asked.
"Yes, like go outside and running a lap around the neighborhood," I replied. "I want to exercise."
"Why don't you just take a walk instead, Rika-sama?" Azumi suggested, and that basically meant that no, I could not go for a run.

I sighed. "Yes." I grabbed my cellphone and my umbrella and stepped outside. I wandered down the sidewalk, staring at the humongous houses. Then I left the neighborhood, heading towards the park nearby.

Ring!

"Hello?"

"Hey, Rika." Mikiya said. "Could you go to Sachi Park right now?" Hey, that was the one I was heading towards.