Part 44

"I got the cake! It's suuuuper good! Delicious! Thank you! :D"
"Have you heard of 1⁄2 Prince? It's about this one video game that's very realistic and the main character is

some girl and there's genderbending in it. Don't you like that genre?"
"Hey Rika, I made this chess game program thing. Akane won't try it out for me! So will you?"

"Riiika! My sister is in love with Yuuta! Do you think I should tell Ryota? Do you think he'll get mad? It's his precious little bro after all, and my sis is such a brat. Akane told me that it really doesn't matter. Please give me better advice!"

On our first day back to school, there was a transfer student.

"My name is Umari Etsuko. I hope we can all get along!" She had a cute short bob hairstyle with full bangs, and her hair was a dark blond, almost orange, color. She smiled at everyone charmingly.

Another new student... yippee.

Mitsukuni grinned at me from his seat. He seemed to be in a pretty good mood too. I smiled back. Ah, but there was that chess thing today. What a bother. Oh but after that, I could go to the Host Club! Kyoya wanted to discuss the Host Cakes, and I was having Azumi bring the Kyoya and Mori cake today.

The day passed quite quickly. Classes were awfully boring, as usual.

"Set your chess board like this," Minoru was saying. He was pointing at a diagram that was being projected onto a nearby blank wall. "Then, play!"

The game was set up so that it was difficult for both sides, with fewer pieces and not-so-great positions. I settled down in my seat across from one of the more skilled chess players in the club. Ariwara Hatsumi, the club's VP, was much too good for me to be able to play her in these games. She was just walking around watching the matches along with Minoru.

Well, once I beat this girl, I can leave! "Checkmate!"
Crap. Did I just lose?

"Something wrong, Rika-san?" Minoru asked, stopping at our table. "It's not like you to lose." I stood up. "Please excuse me for the day then."

"Hey, don't think losing will let you go so quickly." He grabbed my arm. "Play another round and win this time." He went to his computer and the image on the wall changed. "Everyone! When you're done, try this one out next."

I sighed, slumping in my seat. "Let's hurry up then." "Checkmate."

Finally! I win this time! I leapt out of my seat, grabbed my school bag, and was out the door in a second. Forget Minoru! I'm going to get my cake!

The Host Club was still in full swing when I arrived, balancing two boxes in my arms. I set them down to open the door.

"I hate you!"

The transfer student, Umari Etsuko, was standing next to Mitsukuni's table and pointing at him. Everyone was staring at her as she glared at Mitsukuni.