Part 52

I had gone to the Host Club room at the end of the day to return a textbook Mitsukuni had borrowed

me. I'd forgotten mine at home. The club room was empty except for Kyoya, typing away on his

computer.

"Where's Mitsukuni?" I remembered asking him.

"In the backroom," Kyoya had replied without a glance at me.

I was already entering the room when I heard Kyoya mumble something. That's when I saw Mitsukuni. Kissing Hayakawa.

I dropped the textbook on the ground. I thought Mitsukuni would quickly break away, looking flustered, embarrassed. I thought he'd rush to my side and start yelling out excuses and reasons. He'd tripped and had accidentally kissed her. He was being blackmailed. It wasn't what I thought it was. It didn't matter if it didn't make any sense. So long as it was something. Something that told me what I saw wasn't right, wasn't true.

But none of that happened.

He broke away from Hayakawa slowly, almost gently. The two of them were red in the face, but there was some look of satisfaction in Mitsukuni's eyes. I found myself frozen in shock, alone in the world with nothing but my heart beat pounding and pounding away.

"Mitsu... kuni..."

"Ah Rika!" There was a strange flurry of emotions that danced across his face before he simply smiled. "Uh..."

Say it. Say this isn't what I think it is.
"Guess you found out," he said, making a face that just screamed oopsy-daisy.

"Found... what out?" My voice didn't sound like mine. It came out as a whisper, raspy and distant. I was staring hollowly at them, at their feet, trying to get that burning image out of my head.

His mouth dropped open and then Mitsukuni said, "Isn't it obvious?"

I shook my head slowly. Hayakawa was staying silent, a look of grim determination on her face. She was frowning though. What did this all mean? What the hell was going on?

"I'm breaking up with you," he said.

I had to count my breaths. Inhale exhale inhale exhale. Why was it so hard to just breath? Damn it. I forced myself to swallow, blinking back the tears that threatened to spill. No, not in front of them. It felt like my heart was being squeezed dry, and the butterflies in my stomach had suddenly gone insane. I squeezed my eyes shut, hoping against all hope that this was not happening.