Part 50

Ashika and Hayakawa didn't speak to each other for the rest of the day. I stayed silent and didn't say much in front of Ashika. But during class, I chatted with my classmates freely. How was she supposed to find out anyway? And who cared if she did?

At the end of the day, I was exhausted. I played a lazy game of chess, before putting my head down on the desk and trying to take a nap. At least club activities all ended at the same time. I rode the car back with Mitsukuni.

I wanted to take a nap the moment I was back, but Azumi told me that Mom wanted to see me. So, I slouched my way over to her office.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked, closing the door behind me.

"Yes," she replied. She was typing away on her computer. "Hang on. Okay." She looked up at me. "How was it?"

"How was what?" I said.

She frowned slightly. "You know what I'm talking about, Rika. How did your day go? What did Ashika ask of you?"

I sighed, and then said, "She had me carry her books, and I was supposed to only 'speak unless spoken to.' And she told me I couldn't talk to anyone unless I had her permission, but I didn't follow that. I talked to my classmates when she wasn't around. It was alright."

This time, Mom sighed. "I knew I should have told you this."

"What?" I took a step forward.

"I know I want you to please the Ashikas, but we are a high-class family, Rika." Mom looked me straight in the eye. "Which means, you don't have to bend to her every will. You should help her in any way you can, but there are limits. You don't have to piggy-back ride her down the halls."

"I wasn't doing that though," I replied, more defensively than I'd intended.

"I know. But her telling you that you can't talk to anyone else is ridiculous. Our two families are on the same status. There is no reason why you should follow something like that. Carrying her books is fine, because in her injured state it may be more difficult for her to do so herself. But you speaking to others will not slow her healing."

Thank you! Mom is on my side about this! Sort of.

I nodded. "I tried telling her that, but she wouldn't listen. She kept saying that if I didn't do everything she told me to do, she'd tell her parents. Then her parents would come and sue us."

"That's fine. They can't get away with such absurd requests. Do you understand what I'm trying to tell you, Rika?" Mom asked. "Set some limits and boundaries. You must be flexible towards her, but there is a line. One, you won't do any of her homework for her. Two, your social life should not impede you from helping her, but it is also something that she has no control over. And three, don't exhaust yourself. Understood?"