Part 58

I went with a navy blue skirt, black leggings underneath, winter boots, and a red sweater. My winter jacket covered that though, and of course I wrapped the pink scarf around me before heading out.

"Ah!" Mitsukuni grinned when he saw me, before pointing at the scarf around him too. I giggled. It didn't surprise me that we were both wearing each other's present.

"Let's go!" I said, holding out my hand. He took it, and we began to walk to the shrine. It was about a fifteen minute walk, and people were everywhere.

"Wait, Mitsukuni." I leaned towards him to whisper. "What if someone we know sees us?" "It should be okay," he replied with a smile. "I don't care if we get found out."
I didn't care either.

We enjoyed the scenery as we walked in companionable silence. The trees that dotted the sidewalk had lights in them, illuminating the streets and the many couples, friends, and families strolling about. Everyone was in a good mood. Smiles and laughter drifted through the air and it was almost contagious.

"Hey, Mitsukuni," I said. "Do you want to get a fortune?"

♥ Follow/Fav

Next >

"Sure!"

"Sure!"

If the roads had been crowded, then the shrine was even worse. There was already a long line and it was still the same year.

I could see my breath as we waited in line. There was a countdown going on off to the side, and the chatter of everyone packed into the shrine was intense.

"Two minutes left," I said, bouncing on feet. We watched the countdown while slowly shuffling forward in the line.

One minute.

"Oh, now the seconds are going down!" Everyone seemed to stop moving to see the seconds tick away.

I felt Mitsukuni's hand tighten around mine.

Ten, nine, eight...

I glanced at him.

Seven, six, five...

He was staring at the clock like everyone else.

Four, three, two...

I leaned against him with a smile.