Part 54

After changing out of the school uniform, I went into the backyard in Kimiko's sweatpants and hoodie. Mom and Dad were both still in America. Maybe... I located the best climbing tree in our backyard and hoisted myself up.

"Rika-sama, just what are you doing?" Azumi found me camping high up in the tree a half-hour later, doing my math homework and listening to music.

"Doing homework," I replied. "Can't you see?" I had my calculator balanced precariously on my leg. "Yes. But why up in the tree? It's dangerous. Come down," she said.
"I will, just not now."
"What about dinner?"

"I'm not hungry," I replied, finishing off another problem. "You're making it hard to do my homework, Azumi."

She sighed. "Alright."

She came back to pester me a few more times, especially when dinner was ready. I ended up getting mad at her and yelling after she threatened to call my sun eventually disappeared and I was left in the darkness. At least, that's what I wished had happened. Azumi had the whole backyard illuminated with some stupid lights that she got from who knows where.

"Rika-sama, aren't you cold?"

"Why can't you leave me alone?" I moaned in irritation. "And turn the stupid lights off, while you're at it. I'll come down when I want to."

She did. I was left, finally, in the peaceful darkness, with birds and bugs chirping in the background. It was starting to get cold, but I was wearing my coat and I could have cared less if I froze to death.

Ring!

I sighed, picking up my cellphone without much thought.
"Hello, Rika. Why is it that I hear you're up in a tree and refusing to come down to eat dinner?"

"I'm not hungry," I mumbled. "And I'm fine. I just want to sit in a tree and enjoy nature. But apparently, that's what crazy people do these days."

Mom sighed. "I'll be back soon, so just wait. We'll discuss this further." "You'll be back?" I asked. "But you're in America right now, aren't you?" "No. I got a call from Azumi and I was worried, so I flew back."
"How? The plane trip is-"

"Hours long? I flew back from Sapporo, silly. I had some brief business there. I was already planning on coming back tomorrow. Your birthday party is coming up after all." She paused in thought. "Anyway, I'll be there soon. Just wait."

Then she hung up on me. Just wait? I had half the mind to get out of the tree now. What was she going to do? Send Black Garlic Squad members up to drag me out of the tree?

Mom appeared in the backyard quickly enough, with Squad members trailing behind her. Oh shit. That is what she's planning on doing. I began to scramble up the tree.

Sweet as Honey (An OHSHC FanFic)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara