Part 43

I thought a week wouldn't be bad, but I'd gotten far too used to seeing Mitsukuni daily. I was too used to seeing his bright smile, hearing his laughter, and just enjoying his presence.

Damn it!
I rolled over as the door opened.
"Rika-sama, it's already ten. You should wake up," Azumi said. "I don't want to," I replied.

"Rika-sama, please," she said. I sighed, sitting up. I'd been debating for a while on calling Mitsukuni. It was only day two, though. A week wasn't that long. And, if I called him, wouldn't I come across as a clingy girlfriend?

Ugh, no, I don't want that. Besides, we're emailing each other back and forth. That should be good enough.

"Rika, you're up!" Kimiko said, as I was walking down the hall. "Perfect! Masahiko-kun is coming over today in the afternoon. You'll be here, right?"

"Yeah." I nodded. It's not like I had anywhere better to be. I wandered to the kitchen to try baking an apple pie.

"Rika! He's here!"

"Hang on!" I called from the kitchen as I pulled a cherry pie out of the oven. My apple pie had come out as a success, but I wasn't too sure about this cherry one. I set it down on the counter and tossed the kitchen mitt off. Then I hurried out towards Kimiko's voice.

He was quite tall, with short and light brown hair. His face was a bit round in a cute way, although he was overall skinny and tan. He glanced at me as I came running towards them.

"Rika, this is Kitano Masahiko," Kimiko said, gesturing at her boyfriend with a bright smile. "Masahiko-kun, this is my little sister, Rika."

I bowed. "Pleased to meet you."

"Same," he said, bowing back. Then he gave me a sheepish grin, rubbing the back of his head. "You can call me Masa if you'd like."

"Masa?" I said.

"It's what most people call me," he replied.

I glanced at Kimiko. "Why don't you call him that?"

"Cause everyone calls him Masa," she said hotly. "It's no fun to be on the bandwagon." I snickered, and Masahiko joined in with a chuckle.

"Okay, um, Masa-san," I said with a smile. "Please call me Rika. And please continue to take good care of my sister."

"Okay." He nodded. "Please take care of me as well."

Well, he certainly seemed nice. I turned to Kimiko and gave her a thumbs-up. She blushed and then rolled her eyes.

"I'll be in the kitchen then," I said before leaving the two alone. "If you want some pie, come find me!"