Part 38

It was almost eleven when I came home. Azumi greeted me at the door. "How was your day with the Host Club?" she asked.

I nodded. "Good, and tiring." I was already half way up the staircase when I realized that I was wearing Kimiko's jacket, when I'd left wearing a black shawl. Well, maybe Azumi hadn't noticed. Crap. She probably did. I shouldn't have any hoodie jackets like these.

"Rika-sama," Azumi called from below. I stopped, glancing down. "Your mother is here." Oh, good... I think.
"Where is she?" I asked.

"In her office," Azumi replied.

"Alright, thank you," I continued up the staircase to my room, where I threw Kimiko's jacket into the laundry bin and pulled on my black shawl. These past days had been surprisingly cool. The true summer heat had yet to attack. Shawls weren't very practical, but I was sure Mom would rather see me in this than the jacket.

Then I walked towards Mom's office. It was further down the hall, away from our bedrooms and in front of a separate, smaller staircase. I stopped just at the dark wooden door, hesitating.

"-lmost eighteen!"
Hm? That was Kimiko's voice, and she was yelling.

"I know." And that was Mom. "I just don't think there's much purpose in telling her. It's not going to help her."

"She should know. It doesn't have to help her for her to know."

Who were they talking about? I had a creeping suspicion, though, that it was me. Mom was hiding something from me? And Kimiko knew about it?

"I can't believe that she's gone all her life-" Kimiko was saying.

"I already said it was fine, Kimiko." Mom was starting to get annoyed. "I'm sure Rika wouldn't mind either."

"Yeah, right! You of all people know that Rika hates not knowing stuff!"

"I suppose, but this really isn't important enough-"

"Important enough?! It's about her family! How is that not important enough?"

"Rika-sama," a voice said from behind me, causing me to jump. Azumi was standing behind me, her hands clasped in front of her. "Knock."

I swallowed and then knocked on the office door. "Mom? Can I come in?" "Perfect timing, come on in," Mom said from within.

I glanced at Azumi one more time. She just smiled. Ugh, she was as confusing as Mom was. I stepped in to the office and shut the door behind me.

"Actually, Kimiko was just about to leave," Mom said shooting a stare at Kimiko. "Isn't that right, dear?"