Part 42

It wasn't raining. In fact, it was oppressively hot. The black dress I was wearing didn't help. Neither did the umbrella that I had in my hands. Aghh, at this rate, I was going to melt!

Kimiko stood next to me, wearing her own black attire. She was staring at the grave in front of us with a solemn expression. It was always like this. Year after year, we'd always come back to this grave to pay our respects. Ever since I was born, I had spent this very day here in this cemetery paying respect towards a woman I'd never met before: Aunt Setsuko.

Mom had told me before that Aunt Setsuko had passed away a few months before I was born. She said that my aunt would have loved to see me born.

My parents, Kimiko, and I stood in front of the grave. Several Black Garlic Squad members and my parents' personal servants stood farther back.

Mom laid down a bouquet of red tulips and soft-yellow alstroemerias. The three of us stepped back as Mom spoke quietly to the grave. "Setsuko. It's been a year again. I'm still doing well, and my family is doing well too. The business is well. There's not much trouble these days. Mom is up there with you, isn't she? I hope it's nice up there. I hope you're happier up there."

Her voice drifted away.
Dad put his arm around Kimiko and me. "Today's always like this, huh?"

I nodded, watching Mom's back. She was always down and extremely reserved on this day. I wasn't even entirely sure how Aunt Setsuko had died. It had been some kind of car accident.

"Kimiko-nee," I said quietly. "What was Aunt Setsuko like?"

She was staring at the ground. She inhaled slowly, then let her breath out. "Aunty... was a very kind person. She-She was always smiling and...well, I don't have too many memories." Kimiko sighed. "I wish I did though." Her voice cracked.

I bit my lip. I wish I'd gotten to known Aunt too. She seemed like a very good person, maybe not as uptight as Mom was.

"Do you know, Rika," Kimiko said, "that if Aunt were still alive... things would be so different." I nodded. Definitely. I'd probably have cousins. Mom wouldn't be so busy all the time. Maybe Aunt was an awesome and chill person, and the two of us could get along well.

The three of us stepped up to the grave as Mom moved to the side.

"We're doing well, Setsuko-san," Dad said. "The business is especially doing well. You must have already heard about how we're going international, right? I bet you would have loved to see our very first store opening in America."

Kimiko nodded. "You always were interested in other countries."

I struggled for a moment, unsure of what to say. "I... I wish I'd been able to meet you, Aunt." Kimiko glanced at me, forcing a smile.