Part 37

"Ryota, get your butt back over here!" I called, dashing after him.

"Need some help, Rika-chan?" Otsu asked cheerfully. He and Hirase were sitting outside of the Host Club doors.

"I've got it!" I yelled back, picking up speed. Ryota wasn't slowing down though. "You idiot! I baked a cake specially so that you and the gang can eat it! Now get back here!"

"No way!"

I gritted my teeth and forced my legs further. When the distance seemed small enough, I launched myself at him, wrapping my arms around his waist. "Ryota!" I felt him falling. Uh-oh. I twisted myself to the left, and we crashed on to our sides. "Oof!"

"What the hell, Rika?" Ryota asked, turning to me.

"Ouuuch," I replied. My landing had sent all the breath out of me.

"You alright?"

I opened my eyes and saw Ryota's concerned face hovering above me. I bit my lip, sucking in some air. "Yup," I said, exhaling. He held out a hand and I took it, pulling myself up.

Then I stared up into Ryota's eyes. "Look Ryota, if you're going to regret coming... I don't regret it at all. I've wanted to see you for so long." I had to look away. It was hard to maintain a gaze into those strong, steady eyes. "I-I know that things may be a bit, well, strange or, um, awkward between us but you still - you're still really special to me. You have a really special part in my heart."

"I know," he said softly. His hand wrapped around my arm. "Sorry. I just can't stand... nevermind." "Rika!"

I looked up. Honey was barreling down the halls after us, and he wasn't stopping. Instead, he grabbed my arm and twirled me away from Ryota.

What the hell is going on here... Now I'm dizzy. Great.

"What? Mitsukuni," I grabbed my head with one hand, another latching onto Honey's sleeve, trying to focus on the spinning world.

"Didn't you say there was cake?" Honey said, grinning as usual. There were even flowers floating around.

I nodded, dazedly. "Specially made. Hear that, Ryota? It's chocolate with vanilla icing and-"

"I don't care," Ryota said. He turned around and began trudging towards Music Room 3.

I frowned, following suit. "Jerk face." I stuck my tongue out. "You've never had any of my cakes before. Once you get a taste-"

"Eh? Asari-san's never had a taste of Rika's cakes?" Honey said, popping his head in between the two of us. He smiled. "Asari-san is missing out then!"
Ryota made a displeased face. "Who cares? It's just cake. There's nothing great about cake."