Moving On

I opened the side door of my SUV and let my seven-year-old jump out, she wrapped me in a hug before running off. She pushed open the door and was bombarded by other little girls who jumped onto her, it was a sight to see. She looked happy, incredibly happy.

Sofia's biological father agreed to make the trip from New York to Texas once a month, I guess he is loaded, a millionaire, to see my daughter. He had cleaned himself up and managed to get himself a job designing and making cars for some company his great uncle left to him.

She was always a little excited to see him, I knew she hid it for my benefit, but I was glad there was a little happiness in her life, she needed it. My mother, father and sister made a good family wall for us and when Dallas came to visit, she was also very helpful. She was in LA at the moment, working with a popular TV show called Dance Mom's, promising to come home before June when Sofia was going to be going to a competition with her team at the studio, as well as her studio's concert.

I let my daughter get in and waited until she sent me a final wave to get back into my black SUV and drove back home. I stopped and grabbed four drinks from Starbucks, all three of us were going to get on moving things and unpacking into the new house. The renovations were finished, and we would be moving in that weekend. 

When I arrived back home, they had already put a lot of the boxes into my dads truck and my moms van, now it was just up to Maddie and I to put the rest in my SUV and head over.

I had bought a beautiful house that had four bedrooms and three bathrooms. It was black and sleek, matching my SUV perfectly and suited Sofia and I. 

At almost 7 o'clock, I was tired, sitting in my car, ready to pass out as I drove. The house was almost done, we had been working since 3 and almost had everything done, pictures and paintings were up, bathrooms and kitchen was stalked, my room was almost done and Sofia's room was untouched, I wanted her to do it herself, so the only thing I did was make the bed for her.

I walked out into the studio and smiled when I heard my daughter's music playing, at the end of the night, there was always a little show where all the groups performed, she had a solo and two group dances, both of which she loved.

I stood in the doorway watching my daughter dance, she had gotten really good over the last few weeks, she really enjoyed being around other dancers, her teachers though a lot of her.

I watched my daughter practice and soon enough, it was over and she turned, her sweaty little face turning into a big smile and she came rushing over to me, she was now only in a pink sports bra and black booty shorts.

"Hi there, cutie, how was class?" I asked as she picked up her bag and came over to me. She wrapped her arms around my waist, she was growing fast and it was amazing how big she was getting.

"It was good, I learned this cool new thing." She explained and continued to tell me all about her day, the things she did and the things she learned, which made me smile.

"Alright, ready to head home? I got a surprise for you when we get there." She grinned and nodded, slipping into her shoes and putting on her black coat. It was almost April, but it was still chilly out, although there hadn't been any snow this winter.

She was confused when we pulled up to the new house instead of her grandparent's house, but grinned when I smiled back at her.

"The house is all done? We can move in?" She grinned, pulling off her seatbelt. I unlocked the front door and I watched my daughter's mouth fall open. It looked so much more like a home now, and less of just a wooden structure. There was still boxes, but everything was getting there. We were able to stay the night for the first time tonight, which we were so excited about.

"Cmon upstairs." I showed her to her room, the room had changed a lot since she seen it last week. No longer was it a wooden structure with no walls, it now had walls and was painted a beautiful grey colour. She had wanted to decorate right now, but she needed to finish up her school work and get ready for bed. 

She had decided after her bath and finishing her homework, that she wanted to sleep in my room. I turned the TV on to Criminal Minds and let her relax. Her dance clothes were hanging in the bathroom, I didnt have a working washer or drier yet so we had to wash her dance stuff by hand. She danced Thursday from 3:30-7 and Saturdays from 12-4. I had been looking into getting her into a Saturday tumbling class, her teacher had suggested it.

The next morning, I was up earlier than Sofia and was down in the garage using the treadmill. It had been the first thing we moved into the house and I had the garage car door cracked slightly to let some morning air in when my phone rang over my music.

"Hello?" I answered, stopping my machine.

"Hello, may I please speak to Demetria Lovato?" A mans voice asked.

"Speaking." I was confused, the number was unknown, and I didn't recognize the area code.

"Hello, my name is Howard Quinn, I am the laywer of Richard Antonio. I would like to speak with you regarding your adopted daughter, Sofia."

UPDATED Dec 26th 2016