Meeting The Boyfriend

I didn't expect Kalum to show up, I thought he was still out of town. I hadn't have time to explain to him that I had well, adopted a child. Sofia was sitting on the couch watching TV when the doorbell rang throughout the house. I groaned quietly, getting off the couch next to Sofia and walked to the door. I was welcomed by my boyfriend, who embraced me in a kiss and pushed me against the wall. I was caught up in it for all of three seconds before I noticed the five year old staring at us with huge eyes. I broke away just as he noticed the child and looked over at him, he looked confused.

"Uh, Demi? Whose the kid?" He asked, wrapping his arm around my waist. I signaled for Sofia to come closer, but she shook her head, uninterested in coming closer. I frowned and drew closer to her as Kalum watched the scene in front of him.

"Sof, this is Kalum. Hes my boyfriend. He wont hurt you, sweetheart." She clung to me, hiding her face in my shoulder as I bent down. Her low whimpering showed clear fear of him, or maybe it was men in general. 

"He wont hurt you sweetheart." I rocked her and looked up at Kalum, who almost looked slightly uncomfortable, but still looked down at us. Sofia ended up falling asleep in my arms and I walked up the stairs slowly, hoping to keep her asleep since it was late in the evening, she had a long day as it was. When Sofia was undressed and redressed into a pair of pajamas, I returned downstairs where Kalum was sitting on the couch, waiting for me.

"So, you have a kid now?" I sat down next to him and began explaining it to him. He smiled throughout my story as I talked about her. He held onto my hands, smiling up at me.

"I'm proud of you, Dem. Maybe someday, we'll get married and she'll be an amazing big sister." He leaned in and kissed me, bringing me close to him. I sighed in pure happiness, this was where I was meant to be.