Served

"Excuse me?" I spoke, stepping off the treadmill and wiped my forehead off with my towel. I closed my garage door using the button by the door that lead into my house. I turned the light off as I spoke, moving into the kitchen.

"Mr. Antonio would like you to know that he is serving you with custody papers for his biological daughter, Sofia Lovato, formally known as Sofia Antonio." The man said to me as I poured myself a glass of water, confused out of my mind.

"What? No. He cant do that. I legally adopted Sofia." I yelled into the phone, anger shooting through me. 

"I cannot speak much upon this matter, we must meet in court to discuss this, but although you adopted the children in question two years ago, he can still do this. You took out the restraining order against him, allowing him to see his daughter for small moments. Richard never lost all of his rights to Sofia, there was still some parental rights left. He had signed the papers allowing Sofia to be adopted, but not to let his parental rights away, which is why he is asking for full custody." Anger poured out of me, I grabbed a pen from the drawer and began writing down what I was hearing. How could I have not known that he hadn't signed his rights away? I was told I adopted her. From what I knew, that meant she was legally, and in full, MINE. No longer was she tied to him, but I was wrong. I felt so betrayed by the system.

"Mr and Mrs. Antonio are asking for full custody of their daughter, and whether or not you cooperate, we will be seeing you and Sofia in court. Your lawyer has been contacted, she will contact you soon."

"Hold on, Mrs. Antonio? I was told when I adopted Sofia that her biological mother was no longer in the picture." I growled out, trying to keep my voice down to aid my sleeping child upstairs.

"Yes, Mrs. Antonio was not in the picture two years ago, she was being treated in a mental instution and was released last year. They are sueing for custody now as she is stable enough to get her child back." He spoke calmly while my blood was boiling.

"This women was the reason my daughter was put into the system in the first place. That man also had a role in it, the reason why he was in jail was because of that whole situation. And now youre telling me that I didnt legally adopt my child and that she isnt mine because they still had a fucking sliver of rights and now I could lose my child?" I snapped, anger and hatred was running through my veins, I wanted to kill those people.

"Yes ma'am, dispite what happened in the past, they were cleared of those chargers and if the judge sees fit, he will regain custody of his child." I sighed, closing my eyes as angery tears slipped down my cheeks.

"Hell no, he wont." I hung up the phone, slamming my phone down onto the counter tops as I let out a loud cry. Why was this crap happening? Why did it have to be like this?

I cried for what seemed like forever before I climbed the stairs and crawled back into bed with Sofia. I cuddled my little girl as silent tears ran down my cheeks, how had it become this bad?

UPDATED december 26th 2016