the problem

you steal one of micks shirts to place over your outfit before you leave as you forgot how cold it was out there

"y/n you know that's mine right?"
"mhm it was cold, did you expect me to freeze or something?"
"no no it's looks good on you" you just smile at mick and enter the cab.
you get a phone call off lewis, "hey lew! what's up?"
"so my mechanic wants you to sit in and run through scenarios of when the cars failing and things, it's a bit like a theory test for driving"
"ooh that will be cool.. i'm guessing it's before quali and or fp3"
"yeah inbetween fp3 and quali"
"cool! i will see you after fp3"
"see you later y/n"
"bye lewis see you later"

"what was that about?"
"lewis's mechanics wants me to run through a little test thing with the machines"
"oh cool" it falls silent for the rest of the drive, you head onto the track with eachother narrowly avoiding the paps for the morning.

fp3 goes well and mick is in the top 5 fastest. you are done congratulating mick so you head over to the mercedes' garage where you get greeted by lewis and his mechanic.
"are you ready for a test?"
"yessir" you sit down in a seat by a laptop, you are told to just point at what's wrong and how you would inform the driver first was a "break issue. id tell the driver that we will be switching off the engine and hoping that they are on a straight."
"good. next"
"a uh damage issue. if it's the front wing i'd make them box as soon as possible and get it replaced but if it was the car i'd see if it was killing power... maybe use tape to patch it while the driver was boxed if it was fixable"
"next."
it goes on from throttle issues, gearbox issues to engine issues, but it was extremely fun.
"so you passed the test you know extremely well on how to read the screens."
"perks of being friends with a driver huh"
"well knowing someone in the business does have its perks"
"tell me about it, all the driver were begging to get me to work in f1 just so they couldn't get rid of me" the mechanic just smiles at you and let's you be free, when leaving you spot lewis, "yo! lew"
"hey how'd it go?" lewis says hugging you
"it went weirdly well, they said i can read the screens well and would be good with driver communications"
"ah sweet glad you enjoyed it, i think micks waiting for you id check your phone"
"okay thanks lewis!" you say walking towards haas looking at your phone.

'hey meet me in the driver room when your free'
'coming right now'

when you arrive mick looks troubled, you sit next to him and say "mick?"
"have you looked at your phone?"
"no..?" you immediately pull out your phone and open it up, you take it off do not disturb and messages flood in. shit.
"why now?"
"i don't know, they obviously just found your socials"
"jesus people can be so mean" you see one comment that really ticks you off 'why is he with her, she isn't a skinny model'
"are you fucking kidding me"
"what?" mick says taking your phone
"y/n don't listen to them" you ignore him and snatch your phone back, zoning out aimlessly scrolling through the comments before micks takes your phone off you and puts it back on do not disturb.
"okay that's enough, look at me" you look towards mick trying to hide tears
"people are brutal" you say fighting back tears, mick notices and just pulls you tight into a hug.
"mick can i just sleep?"
"yeah that's okay" mick gets distracted by his sisters phone call but ignored it to take care of you before quali, he's seen you like this once before and that was not a fun part of your life.

a little backstory, you struggled with body image issues growing up causing you to fall into a state of depression and states of self harm. mick never wanted to see you like that again so he stayed by your side until he couldn't...

you mustered up the courage to go downstairs and you sit down by a screen analysing it once quali began to see any changes with the car. Q1 everything was good. Q2 a little tyre stress but mick gets knocked out being p11 because of a lap time deletion, which would have got him p8.

mick arrives back at the garage annoyed but willing to push past it, he chats to the mechanics before seeing me still staring at the screen completely zoned out, mick comes up behind you hugging you which snaps you out of your trance "hi mick"
"we all good?"
"i wanna sleep still" you put all your weight on mick
"i know we will go soon.. i have media to do and some interviews then we can leave"
"mhm" mick takes you back to his driver room letting you chill out before we leave for the hotel.

872 words