fast car

you head back up to your room, you head in and hear mick showering so you just leave him be. minutes pass and he comes out in a towel wrapped around his waist, "hi"
"helloo" mick says hugging you
"ah your still wet"
"what did you expect!" mick laughs at you, and unleashes you from the hug
"for you to not be so sodden, now my jumpers all spotty"
"it will dry don't worry"
"yeah yeah" you say lying down on the bed face first
"are you okay?"
"i'm so tired" you flip over facing the ceiling
"we can sleep between fp3 and quali"
"please" you say rubbing your eyes, mick gets dressed and you head out to the track.

"mick i'm going to go see max and see if i can steal some redbull cans"
"we have briefing in 20 please don't be late like yesterday"
"i will try be quick, stealth mission"
mick laughs at you then you run off to redbull, you text max to where you can find him.

maxie !!!

where are you right now?

my driver room, what's up?

i want some redbulls

oh yeah come to the hospitality i'll get you some

lifesaver!

"maxie!"
"why did you need redbulls so urgently?"
"i did not have a good sleep, kept on waking up like every hour so i need this caffeine boost"
"ah okay.. can we catch up later maybe go out for coffee in the morning or dinner tonight?"
"coffee in the morning sounds good, but i'm going to be late to briefing if i don't bolt it right now to haas"
"i'll text you the details, just text if you ever want redbulls again!"
"thanks max!" you say running down the paddock back to haas.

"sorry guenther"
"are those redbulls?"
"yes..."
"put them in a water bottle or something we can't be seen drinking them"
"will do" you say and let guenther finish the briefing, then head off to the cafeteria to find a bottle for the redbull. luckily mick had an old driver bottle which you could use.

"we all in mickey?"
"all strapped in and ready to go, how's the uh drink"
"good"
"let me have some when i next come to the pitwall"
"will do, but please focus on getting some clean laps for us alright"
"you didn't good luck kiss me either"
"shit, one second"
"wha-" you hear mick say before you rip off your headphones and run into the pits and kiss micks helmet and you say "i love you"
"i love you too now go because i need to race"
"going!" you run back to the pitwall and you get back just before mick was going out
"good?"
"good"

"mickey fast car behind make space"  you get no response and mick doesn't move out of the way
"why didn't you tell me checo was behind me?"
"mick can you hear me?"
"y/n?"
"shit"
"i just heard the mic crackle i'm going to box next lap"
"confirm you can box box"
"hah just crackling this is funny"
you smile putting your head in your hands, you then hear a car pull into the pit lane behind you and it was mick, he gets out of the car and heads straight to you just smiling "how do we even fix this"
"you sounded so funny it was just like i was communicating with a robot" mick laughs
"oh god i want the replays of that, let me see your little comms box" you pull mick closer to you and unzip his race suit and mess with his comms box, mick interrupts by whispering in your ear "that was hot"
"shut it mickey" you say still fiddling with his comms "try it now?"
mick messes with the box and puts in his earpieces and you speak "testing"
"let's swap for a second and you hear how bad this is" mick takes off your headphones and he hands you his in ears, mick speaks and it's just robot noises
"how do we.. hah god that is terrible"
"you see! but you can hear me clearly maybe it's your headphones one second" mick runs off and grabs another pair of headphones "here"
you plug these new headphones in and mick tests them, "beep beeep beeeeeep" you say
"loud and clear, and nice reference"
"oh yeah? from one of my favourite people... now please go back we need more data" you say pushing him towards the garage
"yep sorry, kiss?"
"mhm" you kiss mick and he runs back to the garage when it's safe

"are we all good?"
"ah finally! i'm not speaking to a robot"
"that's good"

you tell mick off for track limits and other things and he heads back in after time has run out. "would be a p7 mick, p7"
"not bad" mick says defeated
"what's up with the car?"
"the cars fine it's the track it isn't made for this car"
"that's okay, next race will be better"

831 words