ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 88

𝕾carlette hummed in contentment, her eyes fluttered closed as her best friend gently raked through her hair from her position on her lap, her legs resting on the older wizard who was currently reading

The rest of sixth year had come fairly quickly, and with a courageous step, she decided to follow through with her mother's plans and came back with Willow and Newt reluctantly and has been staying with them. She felt guilty though, for intruding on the pair despite already knowing them obviously. But this was different, she was living with them now, Newt had prepared her, her own bedroom from the previous work office and tried to base it off her likings, which just made her feel worse. She'd tried to pay the wizard or buy him something in compensation, but he refused.

The Hufflepuff kindness, loyalty and friendliness was a pain sometimes.

It's been a few fair weeks since they came to the cottage in Yorkshire, and she's already adapted to the strange ways of the two, despite staying over in previous years for a few days, again, this was different. They worked so effortlessly together as though it was simple and nothing, easily being out of each other's way or wordlessly helping the other out if they needed something. It was odd, but it was adorable and it was definitely different to how she used to live.

She didn't have to hide in her bedroom all day, dread dinner when everyone sat to eat together, she didn't have to watch her posture and be cautious of the words she spoke. Of course she was polite and appreciative, she's not rude, but she didn't have to be overly 'lady like' like her mother had always taught her to be. She could just be Scarlette.

Scarlette who also now would definitely be on the blood traitor list....as well as Regulus who hadn't returned home either and snuck off to the Potter's before Walburga and Orion could catch a sight of him. Sirius and James were rather happy on the matter, saying if he didn't come, they'd kidnap him instead. One blood traitor hiding at the Potter manor, one at Scamander cottage.

She just hoped she wasn't putting them in danger, especially with Willow being a veela and Newt being who he is after the last Wizarding war.

"I've gotten you both the ingredients to bake some cookies later if you would like" Newt spoke in the comfortable silence, my eyes flickering up from Scarlette to the window outside, the warm sun rays shining through the glass, forming shadows of the ledge and curtains on the wooden floor. It's not typical baking weather, that's usually reserved for Autumn and Winter, but I suppose it sounds good today.

"Badgers and their baking" the brunette sprawled over us snorted, Newt and I exchanging an amused glance, pinching her playfully for the comment, causing her to grumble, wriggling around.

"Sod off, Scar, you love baking and you love eating. It's a perfect combination" I responded, sending Newt a nod with a soft smile, his lips tugging upwards.

"That's why i'm trying to persuade Peter to become a baker....think about the free baked goods we could get from him" She muttered, my eyebrow raising, thinking about the blonde boy as a baker....I think he would be happy in that profession.