ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 172

𝕿he early October rain and winds whistled outside of the cottage windows, serenity of browns, fireside reds and the gold of sunny days now taking form in nature

After Regulus had returned back to the manor the way he was, James had made the decision that they were going under the fidelius charm for the time being in their other house in Godric's Hollow. This caused more of a stir between the couple, but once Regulus' self preservation for him and his family kicked in, realising how close it was until Halloween, he relented and agreed.

Peter wasn't around to sell them out anymore, atleast they didn't have to worry about that.

The Slytherin had left strict instructions with Dumbledore for what he was to do with the two horcruxes and the rest he has an idea of what they could be — and he warned him with that icy, sharp tongue both he and Sirius could turn on with a flip of a switch. He didn't absolutely trust Dumbledore, but leaving the dark artefacts in the hands of his extended family wasn't something he wanted to do — putting them in more danger. If the elder wizard didn't do as Regulus wanted, Regulus made sure he knew he'd pay for it.

There's a plan of course, with or without Peter and the fidelius charm, Voldemort will most likely seek out the Potter-Blacks and perhaps send others for the Longbottoms also in hiding. Moody has assigned every auror and every Order member to be there ready in Godrics Hollow and with the Longbottoms on Halloween night — hoping to destroy the body of You-Know-Who so they can focus on the horcruxes to make him mortal before he can return once more.

We are going to do this once and for all.

Entering Maple's bedroom in the early hour of the morning, skin aglow and heart leaping, I smiled lovingly at the sight of the near eighteen month old groggily awake, hugged to her chest her grey wolf teddy. The same teddy she's slept with every night since she was born in her sunny yellow painted bedroom.

Her legs wriggled and her honey eyes brightened from their drowsy state when she spotted me, knowing exactly what time it was. Delicately, I reached down and scooped both her and her wolf up into my arms, leaning to kiss the button of her nose, whispering, "Hi"

"Hi, mama" She whispers slightly throatily, lolling her head forward to nuzzle against mine dotingly. A soft hum sounded from my throat, rubbing circles on to her warm back whilst nuzzling back at her, simply cherishing these moments we had together.

It almost feels like the world has twirled far too quickly and she should still be a newborn, scrunching up her limbs when being lifted, and that squished face. Now, she's a toddler, beginning to explore the means of running rather than walking, tiny pearly pigtails sprouting from her head, wobbling when she does on her feet. She's definitely inherited some of the clumsiness from me.

She pressed her forehead against my cheek, still holding her wolf in one hand, the other fisting my knitted sweater, patiently waiting for me to ask, "Shall we go and cuddle daddy?"