ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 170

𝕾irius exhaled a soft breath, fingers coiling his witch's hair around, her cheek pressed against his shoulder as they all waited in silence

Regulus still hadn't returned home, and it had been hours. Dumbledore and Moody had left, one having a school to run and the other an auror department to run despite the Ministry being infiltrated with death eaters. He couldn't deny the dreaded fear that hours would turn into days, into years, into forever that his little brother wouldn't return home crawled into his throat — though he tried to shield away from that, knowing that if that happened, Kreacher would tell Sirius and apparate back without him distraught.

He hadn't a good relationship with the house elf, in his mind he was just another rotten fragment of the Ancient and Most Noble House of Black. Regulus did have a bond with Kreacher, and Kreacher returned the same loyalty, kindness and respect. Kreacher would tell him. He would.

His burning gaze drifted to where James was gulping down some tea, feet gently rocking the basket on the floor with his sleeping son inside, occasionally peering out of the window to where the sun was beginning to rise on the horizon in the distance. Morning.

He then glanced over towards the other occupied couch, a little tug pulling at his chest from the adorable sight of the Lupin family of three.

Remus was half propped up on the armrest, half laying, lanky legs awkwardly fitting on the length of the couch. His fingertips ghosting the snoozing Hufflepuff's arms after coercing her to rest, curled on her front, their daughter, contentedly sleeping with her mum's magical touch cupping her safely.

Sirius had to confess that just looking at the sweet, bonded family unlocked a treasured chest of wistfulness, unable to prevent himself imagining himself with Scarlette laying on him and maybe — just maybe one of their own. Perhaps being around his godson and honorary goddaughter had brought some sort of baby fever to life, something a younger Sirius may have laughed in the face of that, though he didn't expect to be married to a woman he loves deeply at twenty one either.

He thinks maybe when this war blows over, when they find a way to rid of the darkness wanting to snatch them all, he'll propose the idea to Scarlette, see what she thinks on the matter. In a couple of years, it could be them two cherishing a son or daughter, he wouldn't mind either. His puppy.

"Are you okay, Paddy?"

He's stirred from his thoughts, blinking rapidly to find the werewolf staring at him with confusion and puzzlement on his tired face. He then realises he must have been staring too long, too hard at the three, and Remus had noticed. Cheeks warming, he nods his head, flickering his gaze down to Scarlette when she raises her eyebrow at him, cheeks flushing even more.

"Fuck, what's taking him so long? I swear to Godric i'm going to kill him with my bare hands when he gets back" James seethed, the many emotions bubbling up inside of him just allowing him to now result into irritability and anger. They all knew he would throw his arms around Regulus and hold him tightly the second he arrives home.