ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 159

𝖁linking silently, I handed the sugary tea towards the elder wizard, a blank expression across my face, briefly glancing towards Remus bouncing Maple on his knee with a similar expression to mine

Dumbledore smiles, bringing his tea up to his lips, blue eyes twinkling with magic though seemed more faded than the last time we were in his presence. He almost looked tired, weary and spent, the crinkle lines in his forehead and by his eyes more distinguishable from once before.

For some reason before, I didn't think that perhaps the war was taking its toll on him like it was the rest of us, now I'm believing otherwise.

I'm stirred from staring at his appearance when he sets his tea down, gaze wandering over to our giggling cub, humming, "She is truthfully quite delightful, I understand Minerva, Poppy and Parmona's fondness and captivation"

Remus nods his head, lowering his stare from the older wizard perched across from him in his living room, settling on his daughter, a bright and elated smile on her face that bursts sparks of happiness in his stomach. Her tiny hands reach to grab on to his sweater, amber eyes full of the innocence and purity he admires, untouched by the darkness haunting the Wizarding World, through war, through classification, through traumatic experiences.

He swallows, glancing towards his wife besides him on the couch staring with an indecipherable face. It wasn't just any day that Albus Dumbledore knocked on the front door to your home unannounced, especially after avoiding you for the past couple of months. Remus could gather himself he was here to tell them something, something potentially bad, and he's not sure whether he wants to hear it.

Teddy scurries into the room from sleeping on our bed, eagerly making his way over to our previous headmaster, who handed him a galleon with a wink, then reaching to pet him. Newt had been called to Romanian dragon sanctuary urgently, he didn't particularly want to take the mischievous niffler with him, therefore he was cooped up in our cottage for a few days.

Without moving my unwavering gaze, I placed my hand on Remus' knee, understanding the nervousness creeping up his throat from the odd meeting, Maple slumping her forehead against his cheek with a little nuzzle. Dumbledore meets my eyes finally, lips pursing when I voiced bluntly,

"You've been avoiding me"

His expression turns grave and serious, clasping his hands together firmly whilst clearing his throat, my eyebrow arching as he excuses lowly, "I've been rather busy, as you have been too. I'd have thought you wanted to cherish the youth of your daughter as much as possible. Time really flies, before you know it, the sorting hat will be placed upon her head"

A faint smile stretched across my lips at the thought, Remus resting his free hand over mine and rubbing his thumb over, exhaling deeply, "If we're ever out of war that is, who knows if we'll get there. Everyone seems to be dying"