The Fireworks

As we pulled up to my Dad's house, there were more people than I had imagined and I squeezed Leah's hand, knowing she would be nervous about meeting my entire family. As I stepped out of the car, my Dad came running towards me lifting me into the air. For almost two years now, my Dad had forced a smile onto his face, an unconvincing one at that, but today with all of our family surrounding us his smile was real and it was the most beautiful thing I had witnessed.

"Dad, this is Leah." I said, motioning my hands towards her.
"Hello Sir, it's lovely to meet you." Extending her hand for a handshake. She was so cute when she was nervous, clearly wanting to make a good impression on the most important man in my life.
"It's Peter to you" he smiled, "now get in here!" Dad pulled her into a hug and whispered something in her ear, I would have to ask her later what it was, as by the time they had finished their hug, we were surrounded by my family and friends taking it in turns to hug us both.
"Thank you." I mouthed at Leah as we headed out to the barbecue that Dad had organised in the back garden. She didn't reply but put her arm around my shoulder and kissed the side of my head, letting me know she was right beside me.

The night passed quickly, they told stories of me singing from I was little and stories about my mum which made me happy as before they would've avoided the topic in fear of upsetting me and Dad. Leah didn't let go of me the entire night, either rubbing my leg or stroking my hair. When no one was watching she would plant soft kisses on my cheek, telling me how beautiful I was or how much she had missed me. As darkness set in, Dad and Uncle Martin were whispering about something in the corner. They both scurried away when they saw me looking and a few minutes later there was a countdown from 5. That's when the first firework lit up the sky and my auntie Barbara turned to tell me "she can't be with us to celebrate so we'll make sure she knows we're looking in her direction." I smiled at her and then turned to Leah, who was already standing with her hand extended urging me to get up and watch the show my Dad and Martin were putting on. The idea that everyone important to me was involved in this moment had made me a little emotional and Leah had noticed this, she stood behind me, draping her arms over my shoulders and kissing the top of my head. The fireworks seemed never ending, Dad was shouting like a little kid asking everyone were they ready before setting another one off and in this moment, everything felt perfect.
As the last few fireworks blew into the sky, I felt Leah's lips brush my ear as her hands wrapped around my neck.

"Alex..." she whispered softly.
"Yeah Le?" I answered, still gazing at the fireworks that were turning the sky into a sea of colours.
"I love you." With that, my own body turned into a firework display. My heart began to beat faster than I had ever remembered as I turned to face the girl that had just said it back. My faces beamed at her as I looked up into her eyes, her arms finding their way to my waist and kissed her through my smiling lips.
"I love you too, Leah. I always will."
"You better!" She playfully replied.
"What did my Dad say to you earlier?" I asked, not wanting to seem paranoid but intrigued to know what had changed her mind about me earning it back.
"He thanked me. For being the first person to make you smile since your mum passed" She had the proudest grin on her face but the most sincere look in her eyes.
"Well you have been. Sometimes I wonder if she sent you, sounds weird but I do wonder that a lot." I said, trying to stop myself from getting upset.
"I think we may just have started our forever, you know." Leah said gently, rubbing my sides with her thumbs as she spoke.
"Don't push it, you haven't even made me your girlfriend yet... mate." I said, raising one side of my mouth in a mischievous smile.
"You've been my girl since that night we spent together in Manchester. You just didn't know it. But now you mention it, would you do me the honour?" Leah's face changed from soft and gentle to anxious and vulnerable. It was clear she knew that this was the moment I had longed for but something inside her still panicked that I might say no.
"I thought you'd never ask." I said, referencing the message she sent me that night in Manchester and placing a peck on her lips.

Today had been a rollercoaster of emotions, it started with Leah and I on the edge of a break up, the middle had seen me confess my love for her but the ending. The ending was my favourite part, I replayed it over and over in my mind. She loved me back. I was hers and she was mine and she had even used the word forever. As we climbed into bed together, tangling our bodies together and staring lovingly into each other's eyes, I knew in that moment that no matter what life threw at us in the future... I was never giving up on this girl.

If only I had known then what was to come.