The First Dance

As Leah stood with her glass in the air, toasting our future together, I couldn't help but imagine what that would be like. I must've been lost in my own thoughts for a while because when Leah put her hand on my shoulder it startled me, making me jolt my body slightly.

"What's wrong, Al? Was it awful?" Leah said, clearly confused as to why I wasn't saying anything.
"No, it was perfect. You are perfect. I am so proud of you, Le. I just got lost in my own thoughts about our future." I said, pulling her onto my lap so I could wrap my arms around her waist and kiss her on the cheek.
"What does that look like for you?" Leah asked, her smile giving me the most intense butterflies as she rested her forehead against mine.
"Me, you, Milo, our own little footballer or singer -" I began but was interrupted by Gavin announcing it was time for the first dance.

The guests circled the dance floor, waiting patiently to hear what song Leah and I had chosen to mark such a special occasion. Leah and I had already known what song we were going to pick before we had even began organising the music. It was the same song that Leah would sing at the top of her lungs to me in the car after we had got back together. The song that I would cover, purposely knowing she would be crying but smiling in the crowd somewhere, when Leah came to watch my gigs. And that was how the decision was made, we chose the song that brought us the happiest memories but rather than use the original, we opted for a version sang by one of my very good friends.

When the lights dimmed, I reached my hand for Leah's. Her hand slipped so effortlessly into mine as we headed to the middle of the dance floor. Leah's arms rested around my neck and mine around her waist as the music began.

Teddy Swims - You're Still The One

Looks like we made it,
Look how far we've come, my baby.
We might've took the long way,
We knew we'd get there someday.

They said, I bet
They'll never make it.
But just look at us holding on,
We're still together, still going strong.

You're still the one I run to,
The one that I belong to,
You're still the one I want for life.

You're still the one that I love,
The only one I dream of,
You're still the one I kiss goodnight.

Ain't nothing better,
We beat the odds together.
I'm glad we didn't listen
Look at what we would be missing.

They said, I bet
They'll never make it
But just look at us holding on
We're still together, still going strong.

You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're still the one I want for life.

You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You're still the one I kiss goodnight

Still the one

Still the one

You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're still the one I want for life

You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You're still the one I kiss goodnight

As the song came to a close, Leah put her hands on either side of my face. Her fingers rested just behind my ears, forehead resting against mine and the most adoring and loving look in her eyes as she sang the last two lines of the song to me.

I'm so glad we made it
Look how far we've come, my baby

I had almost forgotten that Leah and I weren't dancing around our kitchen, like we did when we'd had a bottle or wine or two on a Saturday night, until the crowd began to clap and cheer, whistling and chanting our names. Leah had the ability to make me feel like it was just her and I, in any situation.

I pulled her into me, not being able to last one more second without feeling her lips on mine. I heard Jacob shouting something about get a room but we both ignored him, lost in the moment. When we finally broke away for air, we both laughed at the unamused faces of our parents, who had been reduced to tears by our first dance.