Looking Through The Years

Leah's manager had asked her to thoroughly think this through. He was afraid she was making a decision in haste but explained to her that he couldn't just get rid of someone because of relationship history, Harriet had to stay until she decided to go. I thought of going to speak to Harriet, telling her to leave but I had never been the type to do that and to be honest, I'm not very intimidating. I usually start to cry when I'm involved in confrontation.

I had just a few days left to put my plan into action, calling on the help of Ellie, Lydia, Amanda, Jacob, Holly and several others. This was the biggest surprise I had ever planned for Leah and I wanted to make sure I didn't leave anything out.

The day of the surprise had arrived, Leah was doing media all day so I had the day to organise the house and get things ready for her return. Everyone was here, and I mean everyone. Everyone had shown up to help keep Leah at the club we knew she deserved to be at, the club she had dreamed of being at and I would not be letting Harriet ruin that.

Everyone of us had different years club shirts on, all printed with Williamson on the back, from every year since Leah was born, the year she had joined the academy, the year we met and every other year. The house was kitted out in Arsenal merchandise, Amanda's tickets that she had kept from every game were dotted around the place, Aoife was dressed in the kit that came out the year she was born. The projector was set up and ready to go. All we needed was Leah.

As her car pulled into the drive, everyone took their places. Amanda and David were at the door to lead Leah in, Aoife was beside the projector with Theo. In between them, all of those that Leah had met throughout the years, every path of her life was covered. Leah opened the door, shocked to see a line of people in our house.

"What's going on?" She asked, clearly confused.
"This was the shirt the year you were born. This was the shirt, the shirt I wore with no idea you'd go on to make me so proud to be an Arsenal supporter." Amanda spoke.
"This was the shirt the year you took your first steps. This was the shirt, a shirt I never thought I'd put on but if there was ever a time, it's now." David spoke.

The line continued, every person relating their shirt to something that had happened in Leah's life in the year it was released and a reason they were proud of Leah. Leah was crying, happy crying. Aoife jumped up and down as she neared her.

"This was the shirt the year we met. A shirt that meant nothing to me until I saw my world with it on. You make me so proud every time I see you on that pitch." I smiled at Leah as she reached for my hand.

Leah realised that Aoife was next, she kneeled down to her height and took her hand, still holding mine with the other side.

"This was the shirt the year I was born. I'm so proud that you are my mummy and I tell everyone in school that my mummy plays for Arsenal. Watch this."

Aoife spoke so confidently, so lovingly that everyone in the room let out a collective 'aww'. She hit the button on the projector remote and smiled at Leah who had pulled her into a hug.

As the film began to play, Leah quickly realised that it was a montage of her career at Arsenal. It had voiceovers of everyone from football legends to fans discussing her ability on the pitch, about what she brought to Arsenal and about her life in that shirt. It included messages from her closest friends, from her footballing heroes and from all of us.

It ended simply with a video taken by a fan of Leah blowing a kiss towards Aoife and I and Aoife shouting 'that's my mummy! That's my mummy in the red shirt!'

As the movie came to an end, the room cleared as Amanda summoned everyone to the kitchen, trying to give Leah and I some space to talk. Aoife ran after her nanny, leaving just Leah, Theo and I in the living room. Leah threw herself into my arms with a smile on her face and tears rolling from her cheeks.

"You did all this for me?" She asked.
"Of course, I'd do anything for you, Le. Anything." I said as I kissed her.
"What about Harriet? What about how your going to feel?" She asked, that name sounding like her own nightmares.
"I'm going to feel how I feel everyday, Le. How I feel when I look at the family we have created, how I feel when I look at you." I whispered.
"And what is that?" Leah asked.
"In love. Grateful. Proud. But most importantly, safe. I don't need you to worry about what I will think will happen between you and Harriet, Le. I trust you. I trust you with my world, I trust you with my heart." I told her, kissing her again.
"But I nearly ruined what we had, for her." Leah said, overthinking again.
"No, she nearly ruined what we had but she can't do that anymore. You won't let her, I know you won't." I said, taking her hands into mine.
"You make me feel like I'm in a movie, I didn't think love like this existed." Leah smiled.
"I didn't think it did either, then I met you." I smiled back to her.
"I really will leave." She said, making me smile at the idea that she was now considering staying.
"The fact you would've given up your dream to protect our family, that's what showed me that Harriet isn't a name we ever need to worry about." I rested my forehead against Leah's.
"Getting on that plane was the best decision I ever made, you know." Leah whispered.
"Me too. Now put me out of my misery, are you staying?" I laughed nervously.
"For you, always." Leah said as she leant into my chest.
"She's staying!" I shouted out making Leah laugh and the crowd full of people in the kitchen cheer.

I held Leah in my arms, cherishing the moment for as long as I could until my favourite little voice appeared from the doorway.

"Come on, we need to cut the cake!" Aoife said, running towards us and taking one hand from each of us.
"There's cake? Well why didn't you say that and I'd have said I was staying earlier!" Leah joked with her.
"Because it was a surprise mummy, silly." Aoife said, rolling her eyes at Leah.

Leah and I smiled to each other as we looked down to see Theo sleeping soundly. I had many moments to be proud of in my life but convincing Leah to stay at her childhood club, alongside my two children... I think this might be the proudest one yet.