Teacher

As we entered another new school year, Theo became more and more intent on his idea of building a career in something to do with space, something we were unsure if we would ever be able to give him, but we would try to do the best we could. I had changed career course slightly, now songwriting for other, more relevant artists that could go on tour without an entire family to leave behind in the process. Today was Leah's day to pick the kids up from school, Finn at 1pm, Theo at 2:30, and Aoife at 3:30. I had just returned to the studio after lunch when a series of text messages began to vibrate in my pocket.

Leah
Come home

Leah
Now please

Leah
Kids in car don't call me

Leah
Asap

Leah
No one's sick.

Without thinking twice, I excused myself from the studio and ran to my car, speeding off to get home as quickly as possible. Leah was rarely so stern with me about returning home, she had never before not told me to hurry but drive carefully, this time she wasn't telling me to be careful; worried about what may be the issue, I arrived home within 20 minutes to find Leah pacing up and down the hallway waiting for me. As I walked in through the front door, Leah gently nudged me back outside, placing her fingers over her lips to shush me before the kids discovered I was home.

"Car." She nodded.
"Kids?" I mouthed.
"Mum's here."

Okay, so Amanda was fine. What is going on?

We made it into the car, Leah making her way to the passenger side leaving me to drive. Her face looked like she was ready to kill dead things, her hands shaking as I pulled out of the drive and pulled up at the side of the road.

"What is going on, Le? What's all this about?"
"Read this."

Leah handed me a letter, now breathing heavily through her nose. It was addressed to the parents of Theo Williamson. Despite not knowing what the letter contained, Leah's reaction was enough to make my own blood boil at the thought of what it could be.

The parents of Theo Williamson,

It has been brought to our attention that Theo may require an assessment for suspected learning difficulties.

As his mentors, it is our responsibility to address these issues should they be overlooked by the parents.

We will write to you for consent in due course.

Kind Regards
Kelly Mason
Principal

My eyes scanned over the words, but only one sentence stood out more than any other.

"Should they be overlooked by parents? What the fuck are they on about? What kind of thing is that to say? Overlooked. I'll fucking overlook them." I ranted.
"He's not going back there. No way. How dare they say we don't know to look for any issues our son has."
"Why would they even write to us? Why not call us in?"
"Guessing they just thought we'd send back our consent." Leah hissed.
"Right, we'll phone and ask for a meeting with the principal tomorrow. He can stay off until this is sorted out. Are you okay?" I placed my hand on top of Leah's.
"I'm just so angry, Alex. He's just himself, he has no interest in the things the other kids are doing because he wants to do his own thing. Why in this day and age are kids still being told they're different for being themselves?"
"Let's go get a hot drink and cool off before we go home, the last thing he needs is us stomping around the house all night. Do you think they've said anything to him?"
"They better not have. How do we even ask him something like that?"
"We'll think of something, together. Like always." I kissed the back of her hand.
"How do you do that?"
"Do what, Le?"
"Calm me down when I think I'll never not be angry again." Leah chuckled.
"Years of discovery." I chuckled back.