Alex and Peter Dance

As my dad and I took to the dance floor for our Dad/Daughter dance, Gavin introduced us. Leah and I wanted to include Gavin in our wedding but the best man was always going to be Jacob, so we had Gavin commentate our night, introducing the different events of the night.

As Gavin spoke to introduce my Dad and I, nothing could have prepared me for what he said when he spoke. Gavin had always been one to show his emotion through hugs, claps and cheers but tonight, tonight Gavin would say something that made me realise just much I appreciated him.

"I would like to say a few words before Alex and Peter begin their dance, if that's okay with you Alex?"

I nodded at him, preparing myself to cry once again.

"Firstly, I would like to congratulate Leah and Alex on their beautiful wedding day. I think I speak for everyone when I say it has been a long time coming.
When Alex told me the song she would be dancing to with her Dad, I won't lie and pretend I didn't feel incredibly emotional and proud of Alex for her bravery with this choice.
This song was a song that Alex covered at a small gig in a bar just three weeks after her mum passed away. As she sang the lyrics and played her guitar, something about this performance was different and everyone in the room knew it. Her eyes were closed and every vein in her neck was visible as she gave it her all.
When Alex finished her set, Lydia and I pulled her to the side and asked her about the song. It was the first time Alex had shown us any true emotions about losing her mum. She told us that the words of the song symbolised what she felt. If she had never had her mum then she would never have had to feel the heartbreak of losing her but that meant she wouldn't have the memories.
So as you watch the Dad and daughter dance tonight, I ask you to please hug those closest to you. In memory of Alex's mum, Peter's wife. Please put your hands together for Alex and Peter."

My Dad and I both smiled at Gavin, tears rolling down our cheeks as Dad realised this song held such a deeper meaning to me. Leah mouthed I love you across the room and then blew a kiss to the sky. In that moment, as I was held by dad watching my wife blow kisses to a woman she had never met but held such love for in her heart, I truly believed that any pain I had felt previous to this moment was worth it.

Dad took my hand, I wrapped my arm around his back and told him I loved him as the music began. This one is for you mum.

Garth Brooks - The Dance

Looking back
On the memory of
The dance we shared
Beneath the stars above

For a moment
All the world was right
But how could I have known
That you'd ever say goodbye

And now, I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end
The way it all would go

Our lives are better left to chance
I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance

Holding you
I held everything
For a moment
Wasn't I the king?

If I'd only known
How the king would fall
Hey, who's to say
You know I might have changed it all

And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end
The way it all would go

Our lives are better left to chance
I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance

It's my life, it's better left to chance
I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance

By the time the song ended, my dad was holding me tighter than he ever had before. He looked down at me, the proudest smile I'd ever seen appearing on his face.
"I am so glad I didn't miss the dance, Alex." He said as he wiped the tears from my cheeks and kissed the top of my head.

I looked over at Leah who just raised her eyebrows slightly smiling at me, opening her arms to allow me to fling myself into them. My mum had sent Leah, I knew it now more so than ever.