The Buckets

Leah POV

Alex and I had always set alarms for fifteen minutes before we had to get up, meaning we never rushed out of bed without a cuddle in the morning. As my alarm began to ring out, I scrambled for my phone before hitting the snooze button and turning back to cuddle into Alex. I pulled her as close as I could, tucking her legs between mine and playing with the ends of her hair.

When the second alarm went off, I reluctantly untangled my body from hers and headed to get ready for training. As I got ready, I couldn't stop thinking about last night. I was worried that telling Alex that I was still the same person as I was when Harriet came on the scene would make her think I could repeat history. I knew that I wouldn't do anything like that again and I know how much she trusts me but what if she thinks that this could push me to do something stupid in a bid to not get hurt again?

I went back in to say goodbye to Alex but she was already fast asleep again, her peaceful body had now moved to my side of the bed and was cuddled into my teddy. I felt a smile grow on my face as I watched her chest rise and fall slowly. I gently kissed her forehead and whispered I love you before leaving the house to get ready for training.

As I arrived at the grounds, I was greeted by Katie. Katie, for all her bravado on the pitch, was probably the person I found easiest to talk to. Mostly because she had this incredible ability to tell people how it is without making them feel small or insignificant. Katie noticed right away that something was playing on my mind, I knew that she did but she simply gave me a short hug and headed off for warm ups.

As lunchtime approached, Katie suggested her and I go for coffee at a local cafe. I knew that she was going to ask me what was going on and to be honest, I was glad of it. I wanted to talk to someone that wasn't Alex about what was going on, I was sick of burdening Alex with my reckless mind. Katie ordered our coffees and waited for them to arrive before broaching the subject that she had so desperately been wanting to discuss.

"So, the fake smile have anything to do with these news articles?" She asked directly.
"Everything to do with them." I said, sighing as I took a sip of my coffee.
"Okay. Well it's not that you and Alex are unhappy, so what is it?" She asked, looking confused.
"I guess I just read them too often. The comments about Alex and I. They get me down. She tried to talk to me about it last night and I basically had a breakdown in our bed." I answered, honestly.
"Why?" Katie said, again looking confused.
"I'm sick of being that person, Katie. I'm sick of being the person that gets too worked up over these things. I'm sick of being the person that makes Alex worry because I can't handle a few negative comments. She brushes them off, says if they aren't true I shouldn't panic about them but what if they're right? What if I'm not good enough for her? What if she realises that and leaves me?" I said, trying so hard to hold my emotions in.
"Leah, do you know how jealous the other girls on the team get over how Alex looks at you? The dedication she shows to you? That girl is never going anywhere. She loves you. You are good enough for her, you two were meant to be!" Katie spoke with such direction and sincerity that I felt a bit silly for bringing it up. Maybe she was right. It's the opinions of my friends and family I care about, so why am I obsessing over strangers?

After my pep talk from Katie we headed back to training. I always enjoyed training because it gave me a good opportunity to focus on nothing but my sport, meaning that for at least the next few hours I wouldn't have to worry about what people were writing on social media.

We finished training just before 5pm, I headed to the car and as I plugged my phone in I had a message from Alex. After all these years, my stomach still fills with butterflies when I see her name on my phone.

A - I've got a surprise for you when you get home.

L - Just finished training. Is it a personal assistant to clean up after me?