The Brits

It had been 7 months since that argument, the argument that changed the dynamic of mine and Leah's relationship for the better. We always discussed what we had learned about each other after an argument, it was one of those things that Leah liked to do to change a negative to a positive and I loved that about her. Leah had learned that I was very much so still suffering from the loss of my mum, that it hurt sometimes to see other people being supported by their mum and even though I was happy for them it still did something to my heart. I had learned that Leah's anxiety came from a place of insecurity, a place of constant pressure to be the best she could be. Together, we had learned that we could explore those vulnerabilities together and overcome them as a team.

As I finished my performance at the Brits, I was ushered off stage and allowed to go back to my seat beside Leah. I took her hand and gently rubbed my thumb against hers, noticing that she seemed to look a bit miserable.

"Are you okay?" I leaned towards her to whisper.
"I feel very sick, Al. I don't know if I can stay here much longer." Leah whispered back.

We made it to the next interval, I took Leah's hand and lead her to the line of cars that were waiting outside. She argued that she didn't want to ruin my night but it was irrelevant to me. Leah was more important to me than any award. We jumped into the car and began our journey home.

"I hate how nervous I get." Leah spoke, disappointed that she believed she had ruined my night.
"Gavin will go up for any awards I win, let's just get you home." I said.

Leah placed her head on my shoulder for the rest of the journey, falling asleep just outside of central London and only waking up when the car came to a stop. I thanked the driver, opened the front door and felt Leah fly by me and run to the bathroom. I headed for the fridge and grabbed some water and then upstairs to get her some pyjamas. As I came back downstairs, Leah was brushing her teeth and I placed my hand on her back and kissed her upper arm.

"I really shouldn't have ate that food earlier, it lay on my stomach and my nerves have not reacted well to it." She said through her toothbrush which made me giggle.
"At least I didn't have to say a speech." I laughed back.
"Did you win?" Leah asked, raising her eyebrows, toothbrush hanging from her mouth.
"Yeah. Best Artist and Best Album." I grinned back at her.
"I'm so proud of you!" She smiled back, still feeling nauseous.

We got ready for bed, Leah passed out almost as soon as her head touched my chest. I opened Twitter, knowing what I was about to see.

Concerned fans asking for update on Leah and Alex Williamson. Fans baffled after Leah and Alex were spotted on Brits red carpet but Alex was absent from presentation of both awards.

I wonder have they had an argument?

Doesn't sit right with me that they were sitting there one minute and not the next.

Leah didn't look one bit well tonight on the red carpet, even make up couldn't cover the obvious!

Poor Alex and Leah, hope everything is ok!

I decided to not let things blow up, putting out a tweet myself.

AlexRWilliamson:

Guys! I'm so thankful for both of these awards, you lot are incredible!
I know you've all been worried but everything is fine. I think I have gave Leah some food poisoning so we had to head home.

Note to self: romantic dinners are only romantic if cooked well 👩‍🍳

Nothing better than upfront honestly, I thought as I headed to sleep. Arms still wrapped around Leah who had now placed her leg over mine, trapping me into this position.

The next morning I awoke to an empty bed, no Leah. I headed downstairs to see her coming in through the front door. She smiled at me and began to giggle.

"What is it? Where were you?" I said, confused and rubbing my eyes trying to erase the tiredness.
"I think we're being really silly, Al." Leah said, walking towards me to give me a kiss.
"Silly? How so? God I'm so dopey in the mornings can you please explain." I replied laughing into her kiss.
"Sudden nauseousness, brought on by one tiny mouthful. Sounds a bit unlikely if you ask me." She said, stroking my hair.
"What do you. Wait. Stop. Do you mean? Do you think?" I said, my face lighting up.
"I'm not sure, better to find out though, right?" Leah said, lifting a pregnancy test out of the bag.
"This could be it, Le. God I really hope this is it." I said, wrapping my arms around her as she kissed the top of my head. We had already experienced a few moments like this, patiently waiting for a result but seeing the negative flash up. We knew it would happen when the time was right but it was still hard to stomach when we had been so hopeful every time.

Pregnancy tests were weird. The fact that you had to pee on stick to find out if there was a mini human inside you absolutely blew my mind. I voiced this to Leah who just laughed at the thoughts that were travelling around in my brain. We stood in the bathroom for what felt like hours, arms wrapped around each other as we waited to see if this day was about to become the best day of our lives.

"Oh my god, Leah!" I shouted, my eyes filling with tears as I looked at the result on the test.
"Pregnant, 5-6 weeks." Was all Leah could get across her lips before my lips stopped the sound coming from her mouth.
"We're having a baby, Le!" I shouted, somehow finding the strength to be the one to pick Leah up off the ground and wrap her legs around my waist.

Leah giggled at my adrenaline induced strength, she had always been the one to lift me into the air but I knew I couldn't jump on her now, my baby was growing inside her tummy and I couldn't hurt him/her. I placed Leah down on the sofa, cuddling my head into her chest as I listened to her rapid heartbeat. My hand rising underneath her sweatshirt as I felt the first contact with a stomach I now knew belonged to the two most important people in my life.

"I've waited for this moment forever." Leah spoke softly.
"This is the second best moment I've ever had." I said, proudly.
"What was the first?" Leah said, gazing into my eyes.
"Looking up to see you on the plane." I said, leaning in to place another kiss on her lips.
"I really thought you were going to say winning a Brit Award." She laughed.
"I thought of it but I can't make those jokes anymore, it's two against one now." I laughed back.
"Can you believe it, Alex? Can you believe we are going to have a baby?" Leah said, her eyes now filling with tears as I pulled her in towards me.
"I love you, Le." I told her as I rubbed my thumb against her stomach.
"I love you too, both of you." The sound of Leah saying that was enough to make my own eyes produce an ocean of tears.

The next few weeks were spent trying to hide from the world that we had received this news. Leah's boss was extremely good with us, he brought the physio in on the secret. The physio then refused to let Leah play, saying she had an ankle injury which could cause her more damage should she take part in any kind of activity. He advised rest and limited movement, meaning we could hide this from the world until our 12 week scan. We refrained from telling anyone, even Amanda who would bring Leah straps and ointments for her ankle. We wanted to tell them when we were sure everything was okay, for now we were happy just celebrating this together, without the input from the world that we knew would come.

Those 6 weeks, hiding out with just Leah, were the best weeks of my life. For once, we were a normal couple that fought over the answers on The Chase. A normal couple that didn't have to try work around media appearances and matches. We were Alex and Leah. Alex, Leah and an unnamed mini human.