The Academy

On the way to the academy, I could see that Leah was nervous. She hadn't said much, opting to stare out the window as I drove. Aoife was in the back playing on her iPad, seeing her in the same kit I had been so proud to see Leah wear for all those years did something I can't even explain to my heart. I reached my hand to Leah's lap, finding her hand and interlocking our fingers together. I felt her release some of the breath she had been holding in as she squeezed my hand gently.

"Am I forcing her into this?" Leah sighed.

I opted to just ignore the fact that Leah's question was directed to me, instead bringing Aoife into the conversation.

"Aoifs, are you excited?" I shouted towards the back of the car.
"YEAH!" She grinned back.
"Does she seem forced to you?" I whispered towards Leah, her stern face now smiling back at me.

As we pulled into the car park, Leah helped Aoife out of her car seat. She jumped up and down on the spot, raising her arms above her head and practicing her celebration. I lifted Theo, who had slept for most of the journey, his head resting on my shoulder as he began to wake up slowly. Leah and Aoife headed inside to meet the others, Theo and I taking our place at the side of the training pitch. I had expected that Leah would return once Aoife had made her way onto the pitch, making me surprised when I felt her presence beside me.

"No interest in me, just ran off with the rest of the girls." Leah laughed.
"I told you she would be okay." I smiled as Leah stood with her arm around my shoulder stroking Theo's cheek lightly.

A few moments later, a very energetic Aoife made her way onto the pitch. She followed every instruction that was given to her, her game face making Leah and I chuckle. They started with some casual passing, Aoife bit her tongue as she concentrated, something I had done as a child myself. As they moved onto dribbling, Leah and I were both in amazement at the level of ball control she had for her age. Of course, a few times she lost it or tripped over it, but for the most part she was immaculate with her control. I watched as Leah's eyes lit up, her encouraging words towards our daughter echoing around the pitch.

By the time the end of training match came, Aoife had forgotten that Leah and I were even present. She was placed into a forward position, and stared intently at the ball as she waited for kick off. Leah shouted 'c'mon Aoife' proudly as we waited for the whistle to blow, gaining her a thumbs up from our tiny daughter. Theo was now fast asleep in his pram, meaning I could concentrate on the game in front of me for the duration of the five minutes per half that the youngsters would be playing.

Leah and I cheered and encouraged Aoife from the sidelines, Leah's hand snaking around my waist as we watched on. Just before half time, Aoife powerfully shot the ball into the back of the net. She ran towards her teammates, her hand proudly tapping her badge.

"She's her mummy's daughter alright." I smiled at Leah, referencing the celebration.
"She's perfect." Leah whispered, her eyes now filling with tears, causing me to pull her tightly towards me.

As the match came to a close, Aoife skipped off the pitch towards Leah and I, her little face beaming with pride and her nose bright red from the cold. Leah lifted her into the air, swinging her around, and telling her how brilliant she was. A coach took a picture of the four of us, a sleeping Theo completely unaware that anything had happened.

The car journey home was filled with Aoife discussing her new found passion for football; a sound that was music to Leah's ears. The nervous, worried Leah that was present in the car on the way there was now a distant memory. As we neared home, Aoife fell asleep with a smile plastered across her face.

Putting the kids to bed that night was easy, they didn't even slightly wake as we changed them into their jammies for bed. I watched as Leah ran her hand across the Arsenal badge of Aoife's shirt before she removed it, my heart warming at the pride she felt. I couldn't help but worry that Leah was getting her hopes up, just because Aoife enjoyed tonight didn't mean that she would always enjoy football; I worried that Aoife waking up tomorrow and deciding she didn't want to go back would break Leah.