Gavin

Grace and I took things slow but regular for the next few months. We spent time together a few evenings a week and slowly we began to enjoy nights in just as much as dinner out. There were a few rumours floating about social media about our relationship status but nothing too intrusive. It wasn't that we purposely hid it, we just hadn't bothered to confirm that we were dating.

Tonight is the annual Events and Industry Awards and I have asked Grace to accompany me. I'm presenting the award for Best Tour Manager and although he doesn't know it yet, the winner is Gavin Gregg. I always get nervous about these types of events but more so tonight because it has such a personal meaning. I wanted Grace by my side because she makes me feel like I am stronger than I think, I feel more at ease just knowing she's there.

Due to the nature of tonight, I have opted to wear a long, red dress. My hair has been placed into an up-style, I look different but I feel comfortable. My car stops outside Grace's apartment block, I promised to come up and get her, she didn't want to walk downstairs alone in her heels and she is terrified of elevators. I knocked on the door and as it opened I could smell her perfume floating through the air. My eyes widened and my face blushed as I took every last part of her in. She was wearing a long, black dress paired with gold jewellery and her long hair floated effortlessly beside her cheeks.

"Wow." Was all I managed to get out before she threw herself at me.
"You look absolutely beautiful." She whispered before her lips connected to mine.
"As do you G, let's go!" I took her hand as we walked slowly downstairs, unable to take my eyes off Grace.

— — — —

As we arrived to the awards, Grace and I walked the red carpet together, we knew this would cause a stir in the press but we had spoken about it and both agreed that we would cross that bridge when it arrived. We posed for pictures and spoke to fans that had gathered, avoiding interviews as neither of us enjoyed them. As I headed backstage moments before the award was to be given to Gavin, I thought of everything he had done for me. I felt extremely emotional but I choked back those tears and headed onstage with a smile and a wave.

"Often those behind the scenes get overlooked and it can be difficult to feel like you have assisted in giving them the recognition they deserve. From endless rescheduling, dealing with bumps along the road and helping to keep artists heads above water as they perform night after night, often with just a days travel in between. The role of a tour manager is so much more than just booking events. They become a friend, then family and then the person you can't imagine this journey without. It is my pleasure tonight to present this award to someone that has organised over 500 live music events, been responsible for multiple festival line ups and managed 8 different artists, before he's even hit 30. The person that has been my mentor, my light in the darkness and the person in my ear telling me I could do it when I didn't believe I could.
So, please join me in giving MY tour manager the recognition he deserves. Gavin Gregg, tour manager of the year!"

Gavin received a standing ovation. He walked towards me, eyes filled with tears and bottom lip quivering. I threw my arms around him for a hug and whispered thank you to him. Gavin knew that thank you was for so much more than being my tour manager. When my mum passed away, I had become quite reclusive, refusing to see my friends or attend any of my usual activities. The only time I would leave my house was for a gig, I would travel there in my car on my own, take to the stage and travel home again, alone. After weeks of trying to entice me to join my friends on nights out or nights in, Gavin called to say he had secured a gig for me and to meet him at 7pm at the Titanic Studios. I arrived, guitar in hand and heard a room full of people from backstage. As I walked on stage, I noticed that the room full of people that Gavin had told me was a gig was actually full of my friends and family. Something in me changed that night, I think it was a recognition of the support I had, the idea that I wasn't alone like I thought I was. From then on, everything I did was to make my mum proud, I knew it was okay for life to carry on because she had given me this life so I could live it. I'm not sure I will ever be able to repay Gavin for that.

I took my seat back beside Grace, smiling at her through the happy tears that had formed in my eyes. She pulled my hand from my lap and interlocked her fingers with my own, squeezing my hand gently and mouthing 'you were amazing' to me. That was all I needed, the reassurance that I had done Gavin justice.

After the awards had been given out, we stayed for drinks with the others. We FaceTimed Ellie, who couldn't be with us tonight due to work commitments, always ensuring that none of us felt left out. It had been the four of us for forever, Ellie being away was weird but we knew she was happy. The four of us talked into the wee hours of the morning, laughing until we couldn't breathe about our memories. Grace told us of her most embarrassing memories, making us laugh even more at the thought of her running the wrong way during a road race in France and thinking she was in the lead, only to find out she had been disqualified. Grace fitted in so perfectly with our group, she knew when to be serious and knew when we could let our hair down. I didn't worry about who Grace was texting or what she did when I wasn't around, she was such an open book. I trusted her, I trusted her with my feelings, with the broken parts of myself.

This has been the perfect night, with the most perfect people. So why am I suddenly thinking about Leah?