Apart

Leah POV

Time usually passed slowly when Alex was on tour, but having two children to distract me had helped with the separation a lot. On top of that, my new business launch had been placed on hold for a few months as we struggled with imports due to the impact that Brexit still had on our country, even now.

Alex called every day, sent texts as often as she could, and read the kids stories over FaceTime every night without fail. On nights that she had shows, she would read the story before she went on stage. Mum continued to tell the world how wonderful Alex was, on every opportunity she would tell them stories of Alex sending the kids a football top from every country she visited on tour, how she ensured her schedule would allow her to return on both of their birthdays, and mine. Being a mother now myself, I understand it. I understand my Mum's inability to believe that someone like Alex actually exists, that someone could be so thoughtful, so selfless, and so devoted to her life behind doors when the one in the public is so enticing. Alex sent livestreams where she could, an idea that she had decided to act upon for all of her gigs to allow those that couldn't afford tickets to still be a part of her show in their own country. On the nights she knew the kids were watching, she would ask the crowd to cheer as loud as possible for them, making them squeal with excitement.

The day before she left for tour, she arrived home with a present for them, I was none the wiser as to what it was. They eagerly peeled the wrapping paper off it, gazing at her for an explanation. On closer inspection it became clear that it was scratch map, a personalised one that only showed the countries that she would tour. She told them that on her final show in every country, they could scratch that country off the map, and by the time they scratched off the last one she would be home to them. It was things like that, little things, that made me want nothing more than baby number three with Alex. Every child deserved a parent that loved them in the way Alex loved her children, why not give another child that experience too?

Despite all of the positives, I can't lie and say it didn't get hard at times. By the time two months into the tour arrived, our house had been on the receiving end of two head colds, a dose of chickenpox, a stomach bug, multiple cut knees and hands, numerous arguments over which toy belonged to which child, and Aoife had suddenly decided to become a vegetarian on days that began with T or S. I spent a lot of time taking deep breaths in an attempt to not completely lose my mind, but almost as if her heart could sense it, Alex would always call before I got to that point. I wouldn't change it for the world though, watching Alex perform allowed me to see that twinkle that she had in her eye as the crowd sang her words back to her. At every show, she looked completely shocked at the idea that all of these people were cheering for her, the smile on her face making my heart feel like it might erupt.

The night before my launch party, Alex finished her gig at 10:45pm, immediately calling me. Although this was a regular occurrence, it always warmed my heart to see her name on my phone the minute she exited the stage, her first thought being to talk to me. I could always hear the racket in the background as the crowds chanted leaving the arena, and Alex making her way to the fire exit door to board her bus that was secretly parked to the side of the venues she played in.

"Le, Le, can you hear me? I only have one bar of signal." She said panicking, making me laugh.
"I can hear you, Al. Chill."
"I'm just getting onto the bus, are you okay?"
"Of course I am, I miss you."
"I miss you so much, all of you. I can't wait to come home." She sighed.
"Not long now."
"I love you, Leah."
"I love you."
"How're you feeling about tomorrow?"
"Nervous. I wish you were here for it. Maybe we can have another one when you're back."
"An after launch, launch party, I like the sound of that. I wish I could be there with you tomorrow though, I'm really sorry. I have a signing booked in between gigs, or I would've come home." Her tone became less cheerful.
"Hey you, no saying sorry. You couldn't possibly have known it would be delayed until after you left."
"I know. It's just shit. Really shit."
"I know. So is my 6:30 start though, Al. Call me tomorrow, I love you. More today than yesterday, and more tomorrow than today."
"You'll make me cry. Give the kids a hug from me in the morning, I'll call you all tomorrow evening before you go. I love you, I love you, I love you."