Unfair

"Shoes?"
"Check."
"Schoolbag?"
"Check."
"Lunch?"
"Check."
"One little brother?"
"Check."
"Another little brother?"
"Check."
"Let's goooooo!" I grinned.

Welcome to our new morning routine. It's part of our plan to ensure Leah doesn't feel as stressed, Aoife and I have it all figured out. Or so we thought.

"I have no pants on, mummy." Theo said proudly from the back.
"You what?" I facepalmed.
"I don't really like them."
"Theo! You have to wear them! Oh my god!"
"Ha! Got you!" Aoife chuckled.
"Did Aoife tell you to say that?"
"Yep. Paid me a chocolate biscuit."
"Your face, Mum!" Aoife chuckled harder.
"That's it - I quit!" I said playfully.
"You say that every morning!" Theo was now laughing as hard as his sister.

I dropped the kids off to school, stopping off in town to pick up some bits and pieces for the house. Leah and I usually preferred to do an online shop, but in the midst of everything I had completely forgot to place it, leaving me running around like a headless chicken trying to make it back before she came home for lunch. I gathered everything into the boot, sighing loudly as cars in front stopped for absolutely no reason and running to open the front door as soon as I pulled up.

"Perfect. She'll never know." I smiled to myself as I placed the last bottle of water into the fridge.

A quick tidy up, and finally came my time to relax on the sofa before Leah's arrival warmed my heart.

"Hi babe." She smiled, looking around at our extremely tidy house.
"How's today?" I asked, just as her arms wrapped around me.
"All good, did the delivery come?"
"Yep, all put away."
"Thank you, I really appreciate this."
"It's no hassle." It had been hassle, but she didn't need to know that.

A quick lunch date with Leah, and it was straight back out the door to do the first of the school runs.

— — — —

"Dishwasher filled?" Aoife said in a voice that could only be described as a bossy.
"Check."
"Baths and PJs?"
"Check."
"Mummy's wine in the fridge?"
"Check."
"Emmm - teeth?"
"Not check - Theo! Teeth!" I shouted.
"Doing it now." He attempted to shout back with his toothbrush clearly in his mouth.
"Finn's asleep, the house is tidy, and homework's done. We make a good team." Aoife smiled.
"Indeed we do, go have some fun before bed." I smiled back, extremely appreciative of her help.

Leah arrived home shortly afterwards, sighing in relief at the peaceful atmosphere in the house. She spent some time with the kids before they went to bed, her face disappointed when she had realised she'd missed Finn. She found her place on the sofa, smiling as I presented her with a chilled glass of wine, and her favourite snacks.

"You are so good, Al. Honestly. Since when did you become so organised?"
"I - em - yeah. Just recently."
"What is it?"
"Nothing - relax, put your feet up. Do you want a blanket?"
"You're such a terrible liar, Alex. What have you done?" She chuckled.
"Ugh. I forgot to the online shop, I bought it earlier in town. Look." I rolled my eyes as I handed her the receipt from my pocket.
"I knew." She chuckled again.
"What? How?"
"The food is from a totally different shop to the one we order from, Al."
"It is? God, I was so sure. I did wonder why they didn't have half the stuff we usually get."
"You are so cute. Come here, you."

Leah leaned forward, placing her glass of wine on the coffee table and pulling me onto her lap. My head found her shoulder, her fingers interlocked at the base of my back.

"I will get better at it." I mumbled.
"You're already perfect. I can help you know, I don't expect you to do everything yourself."
"I know you don't, I want to do it. I want to make it easier for you."
"I know babe, I just worry you'll burn yourself out."
"Date night on Saturday, that's why you're worried about my energy levels. I'm onto you, Williamson." I giggled.
"Damn." She whispered playfully.