The Departure

This will be the final chapter😭 Posting this chapter quite quickly after the one before so make sure you've read the previous one first!😊

———————

And so, that brings me to now. You might be wondering how I, the little boy born with Erb's Palsy, knew all these details about the lives my parents lived - how I knew what was said and done years before I was born.

The truth is, I didn't write this book, my mum did. We didn't know about it, we found it after she died. Being able to read the words her late wife had written brought mummy comfort, seeing her through until she joined mum just two weeks after my wedding. She was always going to go, she was always going to find her once she knew we were okay, and once she carried that promise of attending my wedding.

It was during our time spent reminiscing as we looked through mum's music room, her pride and joy, that we found the thing she had known we would. She knew this would be the first room we'd go to for comfort.

Flashback:

"She had so many recordings that never got released. Look how many of them are in here."
"Bloody hell, Theo. Where did you find that?" Aoife asked.
"In her lockbox. It's full of USB sticks, all labelled."
"Wait, what's that?"
"I don't know. It says in the event of my death, please give this to Leah."
"To me? How did she know she'd go before me?" Mum chuckled.
"Should we plug in it, mum?"
"Yeah." She nodded.

It became clear quite quickly that the device held some kind of document, a document rather large in size. We'd be lying if we said we weren't apprehensive to open it, Theo's hand shaking as he double clicked.

The Meeting (well, what else would I call this document, Le?)

Hey Le, you're probably wondering how I knew I'd go before you. Truth is, I don't. I just hope that happens because I'm not sure I'd know how to do a single minute without you, let alone a day.

I've been documenting our life since the beginning, writing down my favourite things you've ever said to me, and some of the hardest things we've said to one another. I didn't want us to forget a single moment of it.

I'm getting older now, and I know that with age comes death. Our love wasn't just a collection of words scribbled in a diary, it was our story - so I've turned it into one.

When the time comes, I know you'll read this before you go to bed at night, and rather than cry about me being gone you'll be able to laugh at our silly arguments, and favourite times. I ask that you give it to our children next and ask Finn to get Harry's help publishing it, he'll have all the right connections. I want the world to know - to know what love can be like if you never give up on it.

Finn, when you read this I want you to add in the final goodbyes, I know you'll all remember them word for word. If I don't die surrounded by you all, then you can just include whatever memories you wish instead, but I hope I have the opportunity for one last chat with you all. That's what would make me happiest as I go.

Now all of you, fuck off and stop going through my belongings.

"She had to get one final swear word in there." Mum chuckled through a sob.
"How did she even think of this?" Bobby asked.
"She was always recreating the past, changing the ending when she didn't like it." Mum whispered.
"And she didn't like this ending, so this way she's not really left us. She changed the ending one last time." I nodded.
"Yes." Mum choked out.

— — — —

And so, little by little we managed to get to here. A book filled with a story that many would think is a fairytale, but instead was our life. Society tried to make it difficult for us, they tried to tell us that unconventional wasn't in line with success; our mum's taught us that was far from the truth.

There isn't much else I can write, instead I've decided to include the tributes shared by the eight people that meant the most to mum; Leah, Aoife, Theo, Finn, Bobby, Ellie, Lydia, and Gavin.

There are so many things we could thank you for mum, but being our mum will always be the most important one.

Tributes:

Leah Williamson:
It is with immense sadness that I announce the passing of my beautiful, talented, funny, kind, and adoring wife, Alex Ryan-Williamson. Despite all odds, Alex and I managed to have our forever, and a lot of fun along the way. Our four children were her pride and joy, and there was no feeling quite like watching her be a mother.
As much as it hurts right now, my heart is happy to know that half of it has gone with her, and that one day I'll be reunited with the love of my life.
I would request privacy at this time.
My best friend, my hero, my one and only; always, Al.

AoifeRyanWilliamson:
Mum wasn't just a parent, she was my bestest friend too. When times were tough, she always had a plan to make them better. When I wasn't sure where to go, she was always there to guide me. Most importantly, when I wasn't sure which swear word to use, she was always there to remind me.
Forever my hero x

TheoRyanWilliamson:
The sky has always been my happy place, but knowing you're in it makes it so much more important.
We'll look after Mummy, we promise x

FinnRyanWilliamson:
It was okay to let go, Mum. We'll continue to make you proud every single day. Love always, Finn x

BobbyRyanWilliamson:
You told me I could be like my heroes, so I chose to be like you, Mum.

Ellie:
Three musketeers, forever and always. My heart is broken but your presence made my life brighter.

Lydia:
From the girl who taught me how to be myself, to the woman who taught me how to be proud doing just that. Alex Ryan-Williamson, you were one in a million.

GavinGregg:
Our world lost an incredible person today. To those lucky enough to know her, just know you meant everything to her.
Alex Ryan-Williamson, the light in any room she was in.
Some good music we made, Alex.
Gavin x

Dedicated to the life of Alex Ryan-Williamson, and her Leah.